• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

Rev Counter Into 1.1

steve@cornwall

Anyone done this? using pug 205 stock parts.I have a 205 auto dash/loom available and would like this in the 1.1 look as it's more familiar than the stock base one :blush: easy enough or more trouble than it's worth?

Jrod

I swapped the loom under the dash, dash out job though!

steve@cornwall
I swapped the loom under the dash, dash out job though!

Thanks Jrod (The TU guy?) Just swap the instrument looms back to the fusebox? If so that will be great as the dash will be out for the c/l and e/w loom :) Seats and carpets to be swapped for GTi ones,too and CTi door panels prob Gti valence / driving lights and possibly suspension, too. Aiming for economy and comfort :D (And It'll help clear the garage................

Jrod

Yep just plugged that in and it worked with the 1.1 that was in there at the time, I swapped to a 1.4 a few weeks later though.

steve@cornwall
Yep just plugged that in and it worked with the 1.1 that was in there at the time, I swapped to a 1.4 a few weeks later though.

nice one, thanks I took all the loom out of the auto today (there's quite a bit of it, isn't there? )i'll book it for mot this week as all the failures have been attended to , then rip it to bits and start the fun :P

Tandoh

To swap the dash from an XS dash into my junior would i need to get the loom aswell?

Cheers

Luke

Jrod

If it doesnt have a rev counter as standard then yes.

Tandoh

Ah ok cheers. (Runs off to the scrappy)

kate205gti

its a TU just rev it till it bounces :)

steve@cornwall
its a TU just rev it till it bounces :)

Actually I'm just being a tart - I think the base dash looks naff - and if it's fitted, it should work :)

steve@cornwall
Actually I'm just being a tart - I think the base dash looks naff - and if it's fitted, it should work :)

Fitted the binnacle and loom today, but have a few problems with it.... Indicators only work if the lights are on, no hazards, "arrow" lights on dash don't work, either no rear fog light (although the switch lights up when it's off!) "stop" light doesn't switch off. Rev counter works great, though and I now have a clock and fag lighter :)

Earth related anyone reckon?

DaveW

I can do it with the dash in :o you might have the wrong wires in the wrong plugs? what loom year from the auto?

steve@cornwall
I can do it with the dash in ;) you might have the wrong wires in the wrong plugs? what loom year from the auto?

Both from h reg cars I stripped the dash out, fed the loom up to the clocks to connect and followed the path of the existing loom back, plugging in switches etc as I went. when I got to the fuse box end I disconnected the old and plugged the new in plug by plug - I suppose there could ,in fact, be an extra plug in the auto loom I've neglected. Next opportunity I get I'll double check that I've pushed all the plugs properly home! I pulled the dash out as I was going to do the c/l e/w loom at the same time, but didn't do it after all - decided I could do that with the dash in situ when I have the time to fit latches and motors too.

DaveW

hmm what phase are both cars?

steve@cornwall
hmm what phase are both cars?

Both Ph2 (well have Ph2 rear lights and grey dash - not top of the line models, after all :) )

Quick update :- Rear fog worked properly next time I tried it :blush:

Indicators not working without lights on has been solved by fitting the part-loom from the hazard switch to fuse box from the tu loom

platty

It must be catching....I had a problem with the rear fog not coming on, but it fixed itself. :blush:

Im assuming (ass u me) fitting GTI clocks in a 1.8D would be the same?

Only thing is its a 95' so finding the correct donor loom may be a problem.

Has the stop light gone out?

Edited by platty

steve@cornwall
It must be catching....I had a problem with the rear fog not coming on, but it fixed itself. :wacko:

Im assuming (ass u me) fitting GTI clocks in a 1.8D would be the same?

Only thing is its a 95' so finding the correct donor loom may be a problem.

Has the stop light gone out?

I have a feeling the tachos work differently on diesels? (no ignition circuit as such)

Stop light went out when i removed the bulb :lol:

Still work to do on this

Edited by steve@cornwall

DaveW

Diesels rev counter works off the flywheel i think? Steve you will just have to track the wires into each plug to see if they match up maybe just not this time of year! you can get funny results sometimes with doing this loom conv

steve@cornwall
Diesels rev counter works off the flywheel i think? Steve you will just have to track the wires into each plug to see if they match up maybe just not this time of year! you can get funny results sometimes with doing this loom conv

Funny results indeed! Went to use the car in the evening - no dash lights!!! So today, a little hacked off, I decided to go for the easy fix.....wired the dash indicator tell- tales straight to the stalk - success?- sort of....stalk up - r/h tell-tale flashes, all r/h indicators work B) , same with l/h. Now turn the lights on....................all o.k, but the opposite tell tales light up....WTF :lol: Can actually switch the lights on with the indicator working and the tell tale switches sides :lol:;)B):lol:

steve@cornwall

After driving in the dark, the binnacle is acting just like a badly earthed tail cluster. I'm goiung to add a dacent, straight to body earth and see what happens

steve@cornwall
After driving in the dark, the binnacle is acting just like a badly earthed tail cluster. I'm goiung to add a dacent, straight to body earth and see what happens

..................Took me a while to get around to this, eh? I'm resurrecting the car after it's lay idle for about 9 months and decided to finally investigate. Took the dash binacle out and it was quite apparent that one of the (neg) tracks on the ....... whatever you call the PCB type thing........was knackered. Tracing the track showed that it terminated in a redundant terminal on another dash plug, so I ran a neg straight to this and Robert's your Mum's bro.

MOT tomorrow at 3.30 so everything crossed :(