• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Hardgraf

Driver's Door Locked Shut!

Hardgraf

Hello

Went to open the drivers door the other morning & the key won't turn in the barrel. Got in on the passenger side and tried to pull the door pin up & tried the handle, no joy.

The door's locked shut and I have to get in on the passenger side which is really annoying & probably quite dangerous If I had an accident & couldn't get out.

Anyone know If there's an easy fix or is it the arduous task of removing the door card again! & changing the barrel?

Thanks

Tom

paul205mi16

Are u sure its the lock/barrel that s the problem!The spring in the door handle itself usually fails over time and keeps the door locked in a sense..Id try that first, changing the lock are easy and it dont take long to take the door card off, the locks only held on by a u shapoed clip.IIRC.

Matt Holley
Are u sure its the lock/barrel that s the problem!The spring in the door handle itself usually fails over time and keeps the door locked in a sense..Id try that first, changing the lock are easy and it dont take long to take the door card off, the locks only held on by a u shapoed clip.IIRC.

I had something very similer to that happen on the passenger door, the spring had go full of dust over the years and one day I couldnt get the thing unlocked, basicly when you pull the handle the bit that pulls the rod to open to door stays in the open position which then stops you unlocking the door as it wont unlock with the handle being pulled on.

• Like 1

jj205

All my 205s have had this problem, the first one i got years ago i striped the door card of with the door shut well its not to hard on a non GTI model striped out the door lock mechanism.

the quick solution to this is to hit the door with bse of hand on the external plastic of the door handle but not that hard you dent the door, and this has always released it enough to get in but will stick again soon after.

The case ive found in all 3 205s ive owned is a rusted up sliding bar on the lock mechanism, its hard to explain this, but the bar that connects to the external handle inside the door to the lock mechanism which all the bars connect to rusts up on its pivot point, after a good oiling up you will have years more troble free use, well i have. :)

Jonathan

RossD

I've had this exact problem over the weekend, as said above its the external door handle mechanism sticking. Took me ages to work out why the lock would work fine when I removed it and tested, but would fail as soon as I put it all back together! Bit of oil on the pivots and springs and it all works A1 again <_<

Hardgraf

Thanks for all the help.

Gave the door handle a whack with my palm & hey presto, the door unlocked. Easiest fix ever!

Thanks

steve@cornwall
Thanks for all the help.

Gave the door handle a whack with my palm & hey presto, the door unlocked. Easiest fix ever!

Thanks

That's why so many pugs have dents by the door handle - needs taking off and lubing

Hardgraf

Yeah, needless to say it's seized again. Time to take the handle off.

DrSarty

Yep. It's fiddly job, in particular getting it back in and reconnecting the rods.

You need to WD40 the long spring on the back of the handle itself, and exercise it A LOT to satisfy yourself it will spring back by itself.

Good luck, and don't get angry. Walk away and return if it starts to irritate you.

steve@cornwall
Yep. It's fiddly job, in particular getting it back in and reconnecting the rods.

You need to WD40 the long spring on the back of the handle itself, and exercise it A LOT to satisfy yourself it will spring back by itself.

Good luck, and don't get angry. Walk away and return if it starts to irritate you.

the gold coloured bugger's the culprit, WD it and work until it springs back all the way on it's own

post-7883-1230566711_thumb.jpg

Hardgraf

Nice one, cheers guys.

got the handle back in, now just to connect the rod back up arrgh!

Rob Turbo

This happened to all 4 doors on the 309 I had, only the rear 2 were the worst, they hadn't been touched in so long that hitting the door didn't help, ended up tearing the rear door cards trying to get them off with the doors shut.

It's starting to happen on the 306 as well but only on the drivers door, you can unlock it easily but sometimes needs a whack to lock it!

Hardgraf

This is literally the most frustrating thing in the world. My hands are too big, my patience too short & most of all my skills too sh*t!

Guest toastie

For the last week i've been using the back to doors to get in mine. Both the front ones had this problem. Looks like ill be joining Hardgraf in the fiddly job to fix them.

cheers

Junosix
I had something very similer to that happen on the passenger door, the spring had go full of dust over the years and one day I couldnt get the thing unlocked, basicly when you pull the handle the bit that pulls the rod to open to door stays in the open position which then stops you unlocking the door as it wont unlock with the handle being pulled on.

You beauty! My door was doing exactly this, whipped the door card off but still couldn't really see the problem. Saw your post and went back and played with the lock and door opening rods and it's worked a treat!

Another thing to tick off on my "You know you've owned a 205 GTI when..." list :D