• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Argos Torque Wrench

Ethos

Hi guys,

Anyone got one? Seems a steal at that price.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...RQUE+WRENCH.htm

Mate says his is still accurate after 5 years of use! I'm thinking about changing my spark plug soon so want to torque them up (27NM). 28NM would be fine, it's only an ALU head... :)

ashley peddle

never used one for spark-plugs :) always just 'nipped' them up and never had any problems?

jimistdt

For £15 you cant go wrong.

ifcho

It looks like exactly the same as the chinese torque wrenche I just bought....similar price also...

The strange thing is it actually measures accurate...I checked this in a local workshop with two other torque wrenches.

Simes
For £15 you cant go wrong.

Inaccurate tool? - you could do!

welshpug

less than a tenner from Aldi's :D

Personally I;d spend a bit more and get a 3/8" drive wrench to cover the lower torque specs and a 1/2" drive one for the higher ranges (headbolts etc)

Edited by welshpug

Tom Fenton

Please please please do not torque up your spark plugs. It is really not necessary, and if you bust one off you really will be crying into your soup.

Ethos

I know you can just "hand tighten" then tighten properly half a turn but I thought with an ALU head it'd be safer to torque them up....

Why are you so against torquing them up Tom? :lol:

Welshpug, I think you are right. I'd like to buy the 2 from halfords prof range, £49.99 each.

Now i've started doing more on cars I really want a good set of tools, it's addictive!

ifcho

I think that the 28Nm (That is the min of this wrench are too much for a spark plug) I undo spark plugs with a 1/2 ratchet, but tighten them with a T-type spark key to make sure I don't over-do them

ablister
Please please please do not torque up your spark plugs. It is really not necessary, and if you bust one off you really will be crying into your soup.

how can it break if you torque it? If anything, you should be encouraged to torque them to stop it from being overtightened...

Ethos
I think that the 28Nm (That is the min of this wrench are too much for a spark plug) I undo spark plugs with a 1/2 ratchet, but tighten them with a T-type spark key to make sure I don't over-do them

MI16 haynes quotes 27nm, 28nm would be fine :lol:

Ryan

Torquing them up means doing them up as tight as they need to be. Why is that going to break anything? Just because a torque wrench is the size of a breaker bar doesn't mean everything gets done up to 600 ft.lbs.

24seven

no but a torque wrench that starts at 28Nm is going to overtighten your spark plugs. literally they only need to be hand tight, then 1/4 or 1/2 turn again. It's the minimum you can get away with without them coming loose. undertightening them isn't the end of the world. they'll come loose, rattle a bt so you just nip them back up. if you overtighten them and one breaks, you've got a problem.

Edited by 24Seven

Tom Fenton

If you guys want to torque your plugs up then don't let me stop you. But I don't and never will do so myself.

Do you believe that a cheapo torque wrench will be accurate at or below the lowest extent of its working range? If so then you must be more optimistic than I am.

Do you also believe that 15 year old threads in an alloy cylinder head are still in as good a condition as when the torque setting would have been deduced when the thread was newly formed? I personally don't believe this either.

So your choices are as such; follow the spark plug makers recommended tightening procedure, (which is to screw the plug down till it contacts the seat, then an additional 1/16 of a turn for cone seat plugs, or an additional 1/4 of a turn for plugs with a crush washer) or go ahead and torque away to your hearts content.

Personally I've never experienced any problem with plugs being too "loose", but I've had to sort out plenty of problems not being able to get a plug out, plugs shearing off, or dealing with damaged threads.

gti-si

Agreed. It's just not worth the hassle of getting a torque wrench out for spark plugs, especially when there's a greater chance of over tightening. It should be very easy to deduce when a spark plug is tight enough with feel alone, it only needs to be nipped up enough that it doesn't work itself free from engine movement, which isn't very tight.

Just use the T piece plug removers, they're designed with little leverage for a reason.

Ethos
If you guys want to torque your plugs up then don't let me stop you. But I don't and never will do so myself.

Do you believe that a cheapo torque wrench will be accurate at or below the lowest extent of its working range? If so then you must be more optimistic than I am.

Do you also believe that 15 year old threads in an alloy cylinder head are still in as good a condition as when the torque setting would have been deduced when the thread was newly formed? I personally don't believe this either.

So your choices are as such; follow the spark plug makers recommended tightening procedure, (which is to screw the plug down till it contacts the seat, then an additional 1/16 of a turn for cone seat plugs, or an additional 1/4 of a turn for plugs with a crush washer) or go ahead and torque away to your hearts content.

Personally I've never experienced any problem with plugs being too "loose", but I've had to sort out plenty of problems not being able to get a plug out, plugs shearing off, or dealing with damaged threads.

Thanks for explaining Tom, I understand where you are coming from now and have to agree with the points you have raised :lol:

Regarding the accuracy of the torque wrench I know two people that have had that same model for 4-5 years and they are still accurate to this day!

jimistdt

Surely as aresponsible retailer it is in Argos' best interest to make sure that the Torque Wrenches do what they say on the tin?

Admitedly a professional mechanic wouldnt buy one to use on a daily basis, but as a hobbyist surely they meet the criteria.

I could have done with one the other day when I changed my gearbox oil, but as it was I didnt have one and I guessed, so in this instance is it not better to have a reasonably accurate tool for the job, alright they are not 'Snap-On' but sufficient for most?

KRISKARRERA

Yeah though if you wrecked the threads I reckon you'd have a hard time getting Argos to pay for repairs!

Funnily enough I've always used that spark plug tool with the T shape handle and then my dad bought a Halfords "professional" torque wrench that goes down to 5lbs or something, so I used that, set to just 7lbs and I discovered even just 7lbs was ALOT tighter than using the spark plug tool so next time I'm definately not using a torque wrench.

Sign in to follow this