• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Speedo Not Working Since Conversion

Ethos

Hi all,

Can't quite get the speedo working yet, I think it's in the speedo drive properly as it sits in it pretty well and the bung goes all the way in.

What's the best way to troubleshoot this, I tried removing the 11mm bolt and removing the speedo drive but couldn't get it out... is there anything more to it?

I want to see how fast the mi16 conversion is... :)

Thanks.

Edited by Ethos

gti-si

Check out your gear ratios and the speed your doing in each gear, more accurate anyway :)

Failing that, sounds like the speedo gear. You need to get the drive out really and inspect

Ethos

How would I find that out? :)

How do I take the drive out, I thought it was just the 11mm bolt.

jackherer

You have to take the long driveshaft out unfortunately, along with the gear oil, then there are three 11mm bolts holding the speedo drive housing to the gearbox. Before you do this jack it up and turn a wheel with the speedo cable removed and watch the drive to make sure its not turning.

pug_ham

To get the full spedo gear out you need to remove the offside drivershaft & housing from the gearbox but before taking that step check the cable is located in the gearbox properly.

I had problems on mine when even though it seemed to be fuly home & fitted properly the speedo didn't work. I got a replacement speedo drive from Miles & stripped mine down to replace it thinking it'd snapped but when I took it apart all was fine so I checked the (nearly new) cable & found no reason why it wasn't working.

I refitted all the same parts as before & now it works. It still takes a couple of attempts to get the cable end located in the gearbox drive properly even though the bung holds the cable outer in everytime.

Graham.

Ethos

Thanks for the replies.... it's a bit of hit and miss to feel if it's in properly I'll agree.

Maybe I'll tinker with it some more tonight and refit the cable a few times to see if I can't get it working. Was working fine before and I'm using the same gearbox + cable :)

Any tips for locating it? I find you can't get any grip on the cable to wiggle it in.

M@tt

If your having problems fitting it would it be easier to take the speedo unit out the diff/gearbox, fit the cable and spin it by hand with someone checking whether needle moves on speedo. Once its moving ok, put retaining rubber pin back in to hold cable in place and then fit the unit back into the dif

Ethos

Can you guess what it is yet? :)

speedocable.jpg

Fking thing wasn't even plugged into the back of the instrument panel- somehow being trapped at the bottom. She's working a treat now!!! It bounces alot, but this happened alot before anyway.

P.S I hate taking apart the dash, I seem to break a little something everytime. CHUFFED it's working now tho! Just need to top the gearbox up with oil now and it's all done :unsure::D:D:D:D:D

gti-si

Well done mate!

Sign in to follow this