• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Twin Weber 45 Filtration Ideas

wardy18

Just to get some ideas of what everyone else runs as Filters on their Carbs?!

Im currently run Piper Socks on my Twin 45 Webers but Guy Croft told me that these are only rated at 35bhp per cylinder and so being that im running approx 42bhp per cylinder these socks are restricting my engine.

I could go with the Pipercross 600 Airbox but i think i should take full advantage of my lowered rad and the fact that the carbs have full open air to the front of the car (see pic below, you can see the socks)

I think im gojng to buy some Gauze covers and simply fit these to the rampipes (see 2nd pic) but im just scared of the carbs sucking in crap as i racing up the hill and sprints

i have also thought about making a large air box to bolt to the carbs and fit a large panel filter to the front of the airbox which would sit right in the gap you can see where the grill would be, i have seen a few examples of this on 205's before

what do you all run?! pics would be good

what do you think is best

thanx in advance

Simon

MrG

I like the idea of the gauze covers! Not sure how good their filtration would be though mind you they'd stop damaging large items through I expect?

wardy18

so do i but thats what i thought too, however i watch people head up that hill running no filter whatsoever, the ram pipe is completely open!!

monty69

I run the piperx foam filter from demon tweeks on s16, the ones where you have to buy the back plate seperate(this had few sizes but i still had to cut and drill a bit). Cant remember the number but it was the one rated at 220hp, clears the front panel with twm manifold, this could be cut back for bigger filter. I have lowered the rad and made a cold air duct out of a flat plastic piece of undershield and L shaped ally bracket.

i have seen lotus epirits with twin delortos and airbox with panel filter and cold air duct, dunno on cost but they have a comprehensive catalogue

Edited by monty69

boldy205

i use a Pipercross sausage type filter with the alloy backing plate from Skip Brown.

wardy18
I run the piperx foam filter from demon tweeks on s16, the ones where you have to buy the back plate seperate(this had few sizes but i still had to cut and drill a bit). Cant remember the number but it was the one rated at 220hp, clears the front panel with twm manifold, this could be cut back for bigger filter. I have lowered the rad and made a cold air duct out of a flat plastic piece of undershield and L shaped ally bracket.

i have seen lotus epirits with twin delortos and airbox with panel filter and cold air duct, dunno on cost but they have a comprehensive catalogue

any chance of a few pics of this mate, sounds a good setup and wouldnt mind seeing how you have done it, i dont wanna copy it but be good to see some ideas as you can see i have exactly the same room, i have a panel of Carbon Fibre which site flush on the bumper and over teh top of the rad at a slight angle up to ensure air is swept nicely into the carbs

cheers

simon

James_R

Can get a PiperX sausage filter an dbacking plate form proven products for about £80ish (from memory) ran one on my old nova to good effect, although have you tried the car with/without the filter to see it makes any difference?

tri_longer
so do i but thats what i thought too, however i watch people head up that hill running no filter whatsoever, the ram pipe is completely open!!

Yep, thats we we do, the only time the filters (ITG Twin Socks) is if the weather is really bad.

Miles

For off road use (Race/Hillclimb's) I wouldn;t use any filter's, I ran and will be on my next car no Filter's with no problems at all, After all the engine won;t last 100k + miles like a road car

mmt

I currently run my track 205 with no filters at all. Although I´m getting Piper X foam filters the type wich fits over 2 rampipes. I hate to think of my engine after a full throttle into the sand...wich will happen eventually.

Thinking of ducting cold air in thrugh the side of the carburettors as webers do not like cold air feed directly as you run them.

All books om webers recomend filters!

Do you feel any difference with that alu. front splitter/spoiler(cool looking by the way!).

/Martin

wardy18

so open carbs it is then :lol:) im happy with that, i may just to be on the safe side buy those little mesh filters as shown in the pic above that clip on the ram pipes, they should have more than enough air flow and will restrict at least the major objects!!

wardy18
Do you feel any difference with that alu. front splitter/spoiler(cool looking by the way!).

/Martin

Being that we dont have any tracks over here i cant test it with and without but i would assume it does the job, maybe not so much down force with the splitter but the fact that it extends all the way back to the subframe and so acts as an undertray the whole width of the engine bay so air flow will be alot better under the car

taffycrook

Wardy, I had those filters on my carb'd mi16 and my 8v track car.

On the rollers they make no difference same power and torque on both engines. 185 and 138 bhp. I ran with them off untill the jets and chokes were sorted then tried them with the socks and they made no difference.

The distance from the intake is imprtant they can reduce power if they are too close, make sure you keep them as far away as possible.

DjB

Hey Wardy18,

Sorry to get off topic, but does your state of tune lean out as you go faster? I'm thinking that with such a massive direct air duct to you inlet(s) obviously more air is going in there the faster you go. Or does is not make a difference....

I'm not paying out on your setup, I'm just curious.

Chris

wardy18
Hey Wardy18,

Sorry to get off topic, but does your state of tune lean out as you go faster? I'm thinking that with such a massive direct air duct to you inlet(s) obviously more air is going in there the faster you go. Or does is not make a difference....

Chris

I have no idea mate, i would love to fit one of those Wide Band Lamda Sensor Digital Display thingys but cant afford one just yet, but yeh what ur saying would make sense, especially if i ran no filter at all!!

wardy18
Wardy, I had those filters on my carb'd mi16 and my 8v track car.

On the rollers they make no difference same power and torque on both engines. 185 and 138 bhp. I ran with them off untill the jets and chokes were sorted then tried them with the socks and they made no difference.

The distance from the intake is imprtant they can reduce power if they are too close, make sure you keep them as far away as possible.

Hi mate

Which filters did u run?! Do you mean the Pipercross socks that im currently running!?

You see i think i was running my socks badly bevause i had 60 mm trumpets and 100mm socks so there wasnt really very far from the end of the trumpet to the inside of the sock, i have no fitted a set of 10mm trumpets i had that came originally with teh carbs so i will see how this feels with the socks fitted as there will be mases of breathin room inside the socks with such short pipes on!!

Thanx for the info mate

taffycrook

Yeah I had the socks on mine.

It ran without problem like that, now i have no filters as I put them on a rally car.

wardy18
Yeah I had the socks on mine.

It ran without problem like that, now i have no filters as I put them on a rally car.

cool well ill try and run with and without them and see how it feels, should be better anyway with the short trumpets on!!

looking forward to tryin out my new jets/chokes, next meeting is a week satde

James_R

Piper Cross recommend 25mm clearance from the end of the trumpet to the face of the filter (internally) for reference.

James_R
Hey Wardy18,

Chris

Think you need to be doing rough 100mph to get around 0.5psi of "boost" in the inlet with a well designed ram/scoop just open like that it's unlikely or significant.

DjB
Think you need to be doing rough 100mph to get around 0.5psi of "boost" in the inlet with a well designed ram/scoop just open like that it's unlikely or significant.

Cheers for clearing that up. Its something I thought about and wondered for ages.

Chris

engine killer
Cheers for clearing that up. Its something I thought about and wondered for ages.

Chris

this kind of set up is the air pushing through the filter when road speed builds up instead of engine sucking the air through the filter. so the (maybe slightly pressurized) air should be already outside the butterfly plate before opening, does it make any sense it should be slightly better than the traditional set up?

cheers

Sign in to follow this