• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fast Road Jay

A Few Big Questions

Fast Road Jay

first of all a bit of info on my car....... i bought my gti back in november and over winter, stripped it, caged it and painted it with underseal after sorting the rust patches.

since then i have litterally sunk a fortune into it trying to get it mint again but now i have a new problem!

from when i bought it it had a knocking noise from the passenger side, i first changed the wishbones as they were shot, next i spotted movemeant in the n/s steering arm joint so fitted a new rack and rod ends, the noise went away for a while but then came back complete with a groaning noise on bumps and a knock / bang that can be felt in the passenger footwell so i got it up in the air and checked every bolt, pulled the subframe down and checked it and eventually fount my fr ns shocker to be sticking a bit so i bought a complete new tarmac spec suspension set up, all fitted and the noise is now worse than ever and i have checked everything again and gone to a garage to have it checked and they cant sus it out either. the noise also happens as i go from lock to lock stationary now so im wondering if the roll bar is jamming then twanging back or something!

next problem - i have spotted a hairline crack forming above the rear window and i am told its a common week spot so im a little worried about what else could start to give especially as i am soon fitting my re-con rear beam with solid mounts so i am seriously considering having the car seam welded but i dont know how much its gonna cost, i know the basics of seam welding a car - weld an inch leave 2 etc and go all round and i am a competant welder but i really dont fancy doing it! apart from bracing the rear as well im stuck for other ways to remove chassis flex and stop it cracking or twisting!

a few pics and spec on it i know it wont be to everyones taste!

SDC10584.jpg

SDC10585.jpg

20080100_151738.jpg

20080100_151752.jpg

full st tropez bodykit

full 2004 307 WRC graphics pack

lowered 50mm on tarmac spec springs and dampers

15" rims

de-badge mesh grill

CAT1 alarm

de-wipered back

drilled & grooved brakes

fast road brake pads

dtm mirrors

full stainless exhaust system

4 branch manifold

FSE boost valve

K&N Induction kit

ported headlight

Pug performance ECU

Strut brace

Stripped interior

OMP 3 point harnesses

Bucket Seats

OMP ultra light weight roll cage

OMP super turismo steering wheel

Recon spare wheel boot mounted

Switch panel

fire extinguisher

kill switch

rally name graphics

clear oval side repeaters

de-locked passenger door

new parts fitted:

alternator

steering rack

wishbones

wheel hub

drive shafts

welshpug

sounds like your top mount bearings are a bit seized.

as for the crack in the 1/4 panel above the window its where the seam sealer is drying up and cracking, it wont fall apart though.

to fix it dig all the sealer out, prep and re-apply seam sealer and re-paint.

Fast Road Jay

assuming you mean the top of the damper would you recommend the rubber bush being replaced with a grpN or similar then?? as for the cracking seam sealer then i might just leave it a while but with the cage, strut brace, piss all suspension movemeant and solid beam mounts im still planning on seam welding it as the 205 is still a bit too flexi at the mo lol any ideas on a price??

Fast Road Jay

i suppose if the mounts are seizing that explains why its got worse since they came apart to have the new dampers fitted??

base-1

If you're a good welder do it yourself, it's a fair bit of labour getting to everywhere so you may aswell just do it for cost of gas and wire and your own spare time. Attach the cage to the car at more points aswell like the A pillar, roof, maybe a tunnel brace etc, and gussets at joins

johnsimister

Re the knock/groan etc, it could be a truly dead anti-roll bar drop link. I had one in which the top joint seized to make the groaning noise, and another in which the bottom joint wore out to make the knocking noise which, like yours, could be felt in the passenger footwell. Maybe you have one that's gone at both ends. Turning lock-to-lock could make the seized upper joint stick, let go a bit, stick, let go again etc, creating more knocks and bangs.

Fast Road Jay

fitted new top mounts last weekend and it stopped the groaning but the knock is still there so along with other bits i picked up new drop links and roll bar bushes today from GSF ......... HOPEFULLY this will be the end of it as there isnt much left to be replaced lol

steve@cornwall
Re the knock/groan etc, it could be a truly dead anti-roll bar drop link. I had one in which the top joint seized to make the groaning noise, and another in which the bottom joint wore out to make the knocking noise which, like yours, could be felt in the passenger footwell. Maybe you have one that's gone at both ends. Turning lock-to-lock could make the seized upper joint stick, let go a bit, stick, let go again etc, creating more knocks and bangs.

Agreed^^

Fast Road Jay

still havent got my car back :lol: the 1.9 beam that was getting re-conned is seized solid internally so im stuck trying to get a new one or my garage is gonna try and convert my 1.6 one to 1.9 disks etc but im running outta time cos i want it for USC at the weekend!!!! new drop links, top mounts, roll bar bushes, suspension kit, front callipers, pads and disks are all done but the beam re-con work is holding it up big time now so im getting a lil stressed that it wont be done in time :huh:

mattmk1
still havent got my car back :) the 1.9 beam that was getting re-conned is seized solid internally so im stuck trying to get a new one or my garage is gonna try and convert my 1.6 one to 1.9 disks etc but im running outta time cos i want it for USC at the weekend!!!! new drop links, top mounts, roll bar bushes, suspension kit, front callipers, pads and disks are all done but the beam re-con work is holding it up big time now so im getting a lil stressed that it wont be done in time :)

Dead easy to swap 1.6 to 1.9 if you have a complete 1.9 beam. Only four allen headed bolts hold on the brake caliper mounting bracket, and it just screws straight into the holes for the brake shoe backing plate. Then throw on the 1.9 hubs. Couple hours work tops.

Knocking steering could be lower universal joint on the steering coloumn.

Sign in to follow this