• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrG

Stupid Q Time

MrG

OK may seem a stupid question, but does the ECU control just the air to fuel details and therefore makes the adjustments necessary to allow the engine to run during different types of situations? Does it take information from the distributor for eg to allow it to make the finite adjustments it does?

Also I've been looking at fitting carbs, now if I was take off the ECU and leave the wiring in situ (don't really fancy stripping all that out at the moment) and remove the inlet and injectors etc, then fit the carbs and associated bits and pieces, can I leave my exg distributor as it is now and if so will it run the car OK?

The car's a Ph1 8v 1.9.

I've done the searches but all I read is fixing them to a 16v but not a great deal in depth regards the 8v. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Anthony

8v Jetronic ECU solely does fuelling - the ignition is completely seperate and will work fine even with the ECU removed.

MrG
8v Jetronic ECU solely does fuelling - the ignition is completely seperate and will work fine even with the ECU removed.

Thanks Anthony, one thing though, what about the coil, I expect I'd not have to touch that either?

Thanks for the rad btw, Baz has it and as he's moving into his unit he'll drop me a line when I can collect, so cheers.

Anthony
Thanks Anthony, one thing though, what about the coil, I expect I'd not have to touch that either?

Everything related to the ignition - including coil etc - will work fine without the ECU.

Indeed, if you were feeling particularly enthusiastic, you could strip out all the wiring for the fuel injection side of things, and have just a basic ignition and sensor loom. The only fuelling related thing that you'll need to keep - unless you do it another way - is the tachymetric (fuel pump) relay.

MrG

nice one many tanks.

Sign in to follow this