• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
d7ve_b

Main Beam But No Dipped Beam?

d7ve_b

For some reason the dipped beam in the drivers side headlamp of my ph1 won't work, however the mean beam will... <_<

However, both main and dipped work on the passenger side. So far I have tried (to no positive effect):

- Changing the bulb

- Wiggling and then cleaning the earthing plate located next to the light.

I've also hooked up a volt meter to find that the brown cable that leads to the bulb (which I assume should carry the positive dipped beam current) is only receiving circa 3 amps. I traced this wire back into the fat wodge cables covered in a black sleeve, at which point I lost it. Does anyone know where this cable goes? or what the problem might be?

Any help is appreciated :unsure:

mrswampy

Look for a silver cylinder thing

its a resistor i think and if it goes wrong you loose dippd beam.

d7ve_b
Look for a silver cylinder thing

Cheers for the reply, whereabouts is the silver cylinder thing and how big is it? Is there one for each side then, as the passenger side dipped beam still works?

hengti

it sounds like a wiring problem; i think that, if the resistor doesn't work, you don't get dipped at all (just the small sidelight bulbs) and it's working on one but not the other - ? the resistor's behind the N/S headlamp if i recall.

could also try a replacement column switch incase it's an internal problem with that

d7ve_b
it sounds like a wiring problem; i think that, if the resistor doesn't work, you don't get dipped at all (just the small sidelight bulbs) and it's working on one but not the other - ? the resistor's behind the N/S headlamp if i recall.

I'll have a look for the resistor tonight, is there a way to test them if I find it?

could also try a replacement column switch incase it's an internal problem with that

By 'column switch', do you mean the switch in the stalk? Would this being fecked cause just one side not to work?

I hate electrical faults :wacko:

welshpug
By 'column switch', do you mean the switch in the stalk? Would this being fecked cause just one side not to work?

yes column switch is the stalk, but no it wouldn't cause one side to work only.

definitely a bulb, wiring or fusebox problem if you have dipped on the offside and main on both.

the wire (code RB) for Nearside dipped beam comes straight from connector C in the fusebox, pin 4. connector C is the right hand 5 pin plug at the back of the fusebox.

check that you have 12v here with the stalk in the dip beam position, you should have if the offside is illuminated, if not its an internal fault in the fusebox.

if you DO have 12v here, check the continuity of the wire from the fusebox to the headlamp connector.

the resistor is clipped to the front of the headlamp panel on the nearside, take the headlamp out to access it, though there's no need to do anything to it as it only affects the operation of Dim dip and nothing else.

I hate electrical faults :wacko:

Yep, usually a pain in the arris, but quite satisfying when solved :blink:

Edited by welshpug

d7ve_b
yes column switch is the stalk, but no it wouldn't cause one side to work only.

definitely a bulb, wiring or fusebox problem if you have dipped on the offside and main on both.

the wire (code RB) for Nearside dipped beam comes straight from connector C in the fusebox, pin 4. connector C is the right hand 5 pin plug at the back of the fusebox.

check that you have 12v here with the stalk in the dip beam position, you should have if the offside is illuminated, if not its an internal fault in the fusebox.

if you DO have 12v here, check the continuity of the wire from the fusebox to the headlamp connector.

the resistor is clipped to the front of the headlamp panel on the nearside, take the headlamp out to access it, though there's no need to do anything to it as it only affects the operation of Dim dip and nothing else.

Thanks for the advice welshpug, I shall give it a try when I get home tonight!

Yep, usually a pain in the arris, but quite satisfying when solved :blink:

I totally agree! I managed to fix an electrical issue with the windscreen wipers yesterday at long last and felt quite proud of myself, even though it was luck more than judgement! :wacko:

I am now only faced with this strange dipped beam issue and a fault with the indicators which means the offside side repeater and front indicator refuse to work. I've already ruled out a bulb issue so I think it might be a bad earth but i've yet to confirm. As you seem like an electrical guru, do you have any advice on this other prob?

Sign in to follow this