• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Goliath

Engine Bay Differences Between Gti And Base Models?

Goliath

Can anyone outline what, if any, differences there are in the engine bays between GTI models and poverty spec Models. By this i mean difference in size/shape i.e. bulk head different shape or inner wings different dimensions etc?

I have a plan for a sleeper you see :)

Ryan

Should be the same on any model with a TU or diesel engine. The older models with the XV/XW/XY engines were a bit different, but there aren't many of them about now.

Goliath
The older models with the XV/XW/XY engines were a bit different,

any idea what those differences were?

Ryan

The driver's side engine mount is different for sure. Maybe a few other small things too.

Miles

The drivers side mount is pretty much on the Chassis leg/It's very low compared to the XU mounting point, This can be modded to take the later mount with some new panel's welded in, Other than that the bulkhead and chassis leg's are all the same

Sandy

TU engined 205sfrom '87 to about late '89, had a different drivers side mount to XU models, but the same afterwards.

Mad Professor

Have a look at the Turbo Technics Converion I did, the link is in my sig below.

I fitted a 1.9 GTi Turbo Technics engine into my 1988 xs.

I have over 300 pictures of the converion.

platty

Im thinking along the same lines. It seems alot easier and cheaper to source a rust free, non sunroof diesel, and start your conversion from a good solid base, than shell out for a nice GTi, and then rip it apart. Also seems a little sacreligious to me :)

Edited by platty

ALEX

I think I remeber seeing a few extra ribs between the inner wing and bulckhead on My Gti to my XS

platty

Must be a female...they have an extra rib dont they :)

Seriously though, is there any difference in say a 95' Diesel shell and a GTi shell?

What do you mean by ribs Alex?

Jordysport
Im thinking along the same lines. It seems alot easier and cheaper to source a rust free, non sunroof diesel, and start your conversion from a good solid base, than shell out for a nice GTi, and then rip it apart. Also seems a little sacreligious to me :D

Yes, hint hint, my non sunroof 1.0 turned into a 1.4

Sign in to follow this