• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Project205

Fuel Filter And Fuel Line To Injector Rail

Project205

Hi all,

If I change the fuel filter and fuel line that runs between the fuel filter and the injector rail, do I need to be aware of anything? I am sure I have read that it is bad to get air in the fuel system - if so how is this avoided?

Thanks

gti-si

This is only usually a problem on diesel motor's mate. One thing you need to be mindful of is the pressure built up the in fuel system already, so take care when undoing the banjo's on the fuel filter itself, and be ready for petrol to go everywhere :rolleyes:

Make sure you use some quality fuel clips aswell, not just standard jubilee clips

GLPoomobile

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can do something to release the fuel pressure before you disconnect the line. Probably a case of pulling the fuel pump fuse out and then starting the car so it draws through what fuel is already in the line. I've pulled the lines off before with out doing anything first though, and you do get a bit of a squirt but it's not a problem. You can mop up the spillage but most of it will evaporate quickly anyway.

If you are using the standard 205 GTI filter then make sure you have enough washers for the banjo fitting. Filters from GSF seem to only come with 2 new washers, when actually you need 4 (2 washers on either side of each banjo, top and bottom). They are also different size washers each side. Oh and apparently, the washers that come with these filters are crap and always leak. You can renew the original washers by annealing (SP?) them, which involves heating them up red hot, and then tossing them in cold water, which restores their thickness.

Due to the cocking about involved with the 205 setup, I've decided to fit a smaller filter from a 106 GTI instead. In addition to being smaller making it easier to get to in the standard position, it also uses tails instead of banjo fittings, so no leaking. Just use the right size hose and proper fuel hose clips on the filter and jobs done.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Sandy

With the engine running, pull out fuse 14 (pump fuse and wait for the engine to stall, significantly drops the fuel pressure.

Project205

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will prep myself for some fuel spray as I am also half way through the cambelt change! Glad the air thing isn't an issue.

I have purchased the fuel line and filter from Peugeot so hopefully won't have any troubles with leaks and missing washers etc.

gti-si

If your stuck for washers, halfrauds do a copper washer set for about £7, you'll find the correct size copper washers for both sides in that set. Good luck

Alan_M
Due to the cocking about involved with the 205 setup, I've decided to fit a smaller filter from a 106 GTI instead. In addition to being smaller making it easier to get to in the standard position, it also uses tails instead of banjo fittings, so no leaking. Just use the right size hose and proper fuel hose clips on the filter and jobs done.

For the same reason I fitted a 200sx one. No banjo fittings to worry about, just plain old fuel pipe clips and it handily fits into a Phase 1 ignition coil bracket :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this