• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

How To Fit A Tyre On A Rim

christopher

I have a slow puncture on one of my steel rims.

So I want to take the tyre off replace the valve, clean up the inside of the rim maybe and put the trye back on and balance.

I have access to a machine but need a guide how to do this. It was like over 10 years ago I did this last.

I couldn't find one on the net

mojo1997
I tried to find something useful and came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VwzBDsgyOc :)

that guy had his technique sorted....... :) Try and do it yourself like that :D

Does anyone know how to take a tyre off without a machine and I don't mean cutting the tyre........

welshpug

yeah I have actually :) only with truck tyres though, they're a bit easier as they're heavier and stiffer :) though his technique is very good, it helps greatly that the wheel is securely mounted and well soaped up!

I weigh sod all so throwing my weight around doesn't help one bit!

I do have experience of changing tyres with levers wedged and a sledge and no machine, not advisable for alloy wheels however, they mark so easily.

Edited by welshpug

jackherer

I've popped tyres off rims before without a machine but I tried with 1.9 wheels and the low profile tyres and stiff sidewalls made it too difficult.

christopher

Thanks for the replies guys.

I bit the bullet and went to a tyre place. I don't have time for messing about. Turned out to be a puncture and they repaired and balanced for £20. Not that bad really :blink:

Edited by christopher

welshpug

crumbs, I get that done round here for £7! that's with them having to remove the wheel from the car too!

VisaGTi16v

I find the simplest option is to find a friend with a tyre changing machine, he wasnt that impressed when I turned up with this lot when he was hungover one saturday :blink:

post-8685-1215552395_thumb.jpg

christopher
crumbs, I get that done round here for £7! that's with them having to remove the wheel from the car too!

Denmark. Everything is an arm and a leg :ph34r:

Baz

Yup, that's usually my solution too, getting harder these days though, so looking for a machine myself for the workshop, would be very handy... :ph34r:

VisaGTi16v

My friends is very handy heh, I service for him in Belgium, tarmac rallies a Lotus Sunbeam so goes through a lot of tyres! Its only a manual machine with air ram thing to help get the tyre off so requires walking round it with BIG bar to get them back on which is hard work especially on stupid Visa wheels which are mega tight and can mark the rims but they are tatty anyway.

Sign in to follow this