• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
feb

Pro's & Con's Of Oil Pressure/temp Sandwich Adaptor Plate

feb

Hi,

I am about to fit an oil pressure and temperature sensor to my impreza and was wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages when using an oil filter sandwich plate.

The alternative method is to fit the pressure sender where the OE low oil pressure switch is located at the moment but there is more work involved to get to it and you can't have both the OE & Defi sensors at the same time (unless I can find a T connector but not sure if there is enough space).

The instructions on psi3 website say that the Defi oil pressure sensor should be fitted where the OE low warning switch is located and the temp sensor above cylinder # 3. Powerstation recommends the sandwich plate though.

What do you guys reckon?

I believe I will get more accurate readings by having the sensors on the block rather than the oil filter or not?

Cheers :)

Edited by feb

CaptainK

I've had one for oil pressure & temp on my FTO for about 2 years now. No problems so far. Only thing is that you might find there isn't much psace to fit the pressure sender directly to the sandwich plate. I know I couldn't on the FTO as the pressure sender is bigger than the oil temp. So a remote connection with a braided hose is needed. In this case you need to remember to earth the remote senders to the engine block, car chassis or battery etc otherwise they read maximum all the time.

After installation and driving for a while check that the sandwich plate doesn't leak. Thankfully mine doesn't.

Unfortunately for me, the gauges I chose for mine are a big pants and don't read write - the oil temp works for about 10 mins the turns off. The oil pressure reads -10 when its up to running temperature. :) I know the engine is fine though as I've had it checked by a professional mechanical gauge at a garage.

feb
I've had one for oil pressure & temp on my FTO for about 2 years now. No problems so far. Only thing is that you might find there isn't much psace to fit the pressure sender directly to the sandwich plate. I know I couldn't on the FTO as the pressure sender is bigger than the oil temp. So a remote connection with a braided hose is needed. In this case you need to remember to earth the remote senders to the engine block, car chassis or battery etc otherwise they read maximum all the time.

After installation and driving for a while check that the sandwich plate doesn't leak. Thankfully mine doesn't.

Unfortunately for me, the gauges I chose for mine are a big pants and don't read write - the oil temp works for about 10 mins the turns off. The oil pressure reads -10 when its up to running temperature. :ph34r: I know the engine is fine though as I've had it checked by a professional mechanical gauge at a garage.

Thanks. Could the problem be because if your sensors are not grounded properly?

CaptainK
Thanks. Could the problem be because if your sensors are not grounded properly?

Nope. Its just poor gauges - the oil temp one works fine for about 5-10 minutes then afterwards every time you go over a bump the needle slips downwards (gravity and all). The oil pressure one is down to poor wiring or possibly grounding. Though the oil pressure is grounded directly to the battery -ve as the sender is right next to the battery. I suspect its the wiring of the gauges as they both (temp & pressure) share the same +ve and -ve wires. So I reckon I'm getting some interference. I've got another set of gauges and senders to try, but I'm flat broke to pay a garage to do it and I never really have any time to do it myself (not really urgent at all).

Sign in to follow this