• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

I Genuinely Have No Idea What Brakes Ive Got Lol

chocolate_o_brian

seriously. right i got my 205gti last monday. the owner nicely pointed out i have rather large brake discs on there but i cant for the life of me remember what they are.

brief description is they seem to measure about 283-284mm in diameter and are about 20.5mm thick (vented). the calipers look standard and spaced outwards to accomodate the discs themselves. the discs are drilled and grooved which makes for some lovely steering wobble on sharp braking. oh and under the speedline 15" 1.9gti wheels the calipers have about 2mm of space... really tight but no rubbing :(

any ideas as when it comes to replacing, i dont wanna go back to standard bottle top 247mm discs.

merci à l'avance

andy :lol:

Edited by chocolate_o_brian

Tom Fenton

A picture would help us here.

Sounds like it _may_ be 306GTI6 or similar discs, with the calipers spaced.

jim205GTI

Could be the 307/ 206 gti 180 setup with that size!! :(

Look like this

post-5700-1214935885.jpg

post-5700-1214935939.jpg

cybernck
the calipers look standard and spaced outwards to accomodate the discs themselves. the discs are drilled and grooved...

sounds *exactly* like this actually:

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/b-autofivebigdisc.html

the discs are not 306 or 307 items, i think we've found them to be R21 discs or something like that.

i think it was C_W who's found out what discs they were once he had to find a replacement.

jord294

they could even be the conversion kit supplied by L.A.D :)

chocolate_o_brian
sounds *exactly* like this actually:

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/b-autofivebigdisc.html

the discs are not 306 or 307 items, i think we've found them to be R21 discs or something like that.

i think it was C_W who's found out what discs they were once he had to find a replacement.

hmm quite possibly. reason i enquired about it was because flix on here took off the caliper the other day to get measurements to make his own brackets. i believe his plan was to use the standard calipers with spacer brackets and just buy the bigger discs.

this then made me think that if i had just the correct disc size and offset bought it would work out cheaper than paying £200 for a set of front discs when i dont drive the car hard anyways.

i suppose its a case of next time im round his gaff getting the discs off and getting presice measurements/details for future reference.

cybernck

on the other hand, if it's a Constella kit, it uses standard 306 GTI6 283x22 discs :).

chocolate_o_brian
on the other hand, if it's a Constella kit, it uses standard 306 GTI6 283x22 discs :).

good point. i suppose what i need to do is get the exact measurements. only thing is though the discs obviously have wear on them so being a newbie im not really sure what width they would have started out as? i assume 22mm but im not 100%

Flix

The guy you bought the car from said it was an Auto5 kit.

It has spacers to extend the caliper from the hub by 22mm, so as to take the 283mm disc.

It also has spacer washers that are 12mm thck.

I presumed the discs were 306 GTi6 ones, but I could be wrong.

Next time your at mine, Andy, well compare the disc offset with a standard one.

chocolate_o_brian

sounds like a plan.

chocolate_o_brian
sounds like a plan.

well after going to chris' (flix) last friday to sort out some squeeky topmount bearings and a fubared droplink, we're no nearer to knowing lol.

chris had the measurements for the gti-6 discs and mine are nowhere near. basically the discs are currently 20-20.5mm thick so originally 22mm as an assumption. but the distance from thediscs edge to the outer hub face is about 10-11mm.

so.... erm, i dunno. may have to take the wheel off and get some pics for the clued up members to see.

gti-si

I very highly doubt that there would be a 2mm difference due to wear, you'd still have a lip at the top of the disc measuring 22m wouldn't you?

chocolate_o_brian
I very highly doubt that there would be a 2mm difference due to wear, you'd still have a lip at the top of the disc measuring 22m wouldn't you?

good point, the way the pads seem to be perched at the top indicates that there wouldnt be a lip as they seem to rub to the edge. if i get the chance il pop a wheel off and get some investigation pics taken. suppose its easier for the knowledgeable members to look through pics than understand the waffle that dribbles from my cake hole :)

welshpug

2mm of wear is perfectly feasible, std 205 vented discs are 20mm, minimum thickness is 18mm.

chocolate_o_brian
2mm of wear is perfectly feasible, std 205 vented discs are 20mm, minimum thickness is 18mm.

the discs themselves are grooved and drilled with lots of depth left in the grooves, so god knows what width they started out at. :)

jackherer
good point, the way the pads seem to be perched at the top indicates that there wouldnt be a lip as they seem to rub to the edge.

That sounds like the Autofive big brake kit which is a pair of custom discs and brackets to move the standard caliper further from the hub. They have a very shallow offset too which I think is what you meant when you said "the distance from thediscs edge to the outer hub face is about 10-11mm."

You need to post pics though really :rolleyes:

cybernck

^ that's what i had figured out before my first reply too :(.

jackherer

I obviously just don't bother reading your posts :(

shalmaneser

I think I've got an autofive kit, which TBH I'm not happy with, there's tons of vibration through the pedals, so I'm looking into getting some non grooved or even plain style discs.

Here's a piccy, but unfortunately I haven't been able to identify the type of disc yet.

th_DSC01304.jpg

BTW i know the discs aren't on the right way round in that pic.

I'm convinced the vibration is due to the grooves so I'm keen to get some plain discs on there ASAP to improve things. Good news is that braking power has been improved considerably.

jackherer

The vibration is due to those wheel spacers.

pug_ham

The vibration could be due to the greenstuff pads, iirc they are now well known for causing vibrations, grooved disc susually just make more noise imo.

I'd agree it looks like an Autofive bigbrakes conversion kit, you still have either base or 1.6 GTI hubs & Bendix calipers.

Its a multi fit disc, maybe specially re-drilled for the Pug ffitment.

Graham.

jackherer
Its a multi fit disc, maybe specially re-drilled for the Pug ffitment.

Thats what i thought initially but I'm pretty sure thats a non hub centric wheelspacer.

pug_ham
Thats what i thought initially but I'm pretty sure thats a non hub centric wheelspacer.

I still think its the disc, you can see two lots of countersunk holes for the disc securing screw, around five to five & 1/4 to four position.

post-71-1248123094_thumb.jpg

I'm sure I remember Chris mentioned something about Renault Safrane discs but could be wrong & his would've been for a 1.9 hub anyway.

Graham.

shalmaneser
The vibration is due to those wheel spacers.

There aren't any wheel spacers. :)

I reckon the discs are for another application but have been drilled out to fit the 205 bolt spacing; still, we'll see.

I doubt that it's the pads creating the vibrations - the frequency of the vibrations 'feels' to be of about the right timing for it to be the grooves. Also, the pads were fine on my previous disc set up.

EdCherry

Warped discs?