• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Project205

Cambelt Tensioner

Project205

Hi all,

I have a '91 1.6 GTi, would this have a spring loaded tensioner or the other type?

Just want to get the part before starting the job!

Thanks

j_turnell

Spring loaded mate. Think it was only the K plate 93'+ cars that used the mi style tensioner. Just look for the 16mm tensioner bolt at the back of the head.

Project205
Spring loaded mate. Think it was only the K plate 93'+ cars that used the mi style tensioner. Just look for the 16mm tensioner bolt at the back of the head.

Many thanks, that is good news - I have a new spring loaded tensioner ready to use!

ifcho

While we are on the topic...I am wondering whether I can convert my spring loaded block to the eccentric type...

I see that the hole for mounting the eccentric tensioner is already there, just does not have thread.

If I make the thread, i can get the eccentric tensioner and the new type water pump+cambelt?

Miles

Yes you can, need different Cam cover's if you run them but the later ones are 2 piece and not the few as they are as std

Project205

Just curious, why would you want to convert from the spring loaded type?

ifcho

I have decked my block and liners quite a lot, to get higher compression ratio (advantageous move as Sadny said, but I decided that I'll try it) and i think that I won't be able to tension the belt well....

Sign in to follow this