• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
paul_portsmouth

Wierd Idle

paul_portsmouth

it goes up and down when sat at lights

then next set sits on 900 perfect

next one at 1500

then up and down 400 - 1200

then 900

any ideas????

TRYNKEEPUP

I had this problem on my 1.9 gti, the problem in question is the air flow meter, i have eliminated this by fitting twin 45s now, its a common problem with gtis, all i can suggest is trying another afm if you have a spare, or borrow one, this may not cure it as its just a gti thing, but may help. i learnt to play throttle pedal to control mine takes bit of pratice but easy when you know how, hope this helps.

GLPoomobile

Yes it could be AFM related. My Mi started doing this once in traffic - as soon as I dipped the clutch and came off the throttle, the revs would dip to 800, bounce up to 1200, dip to 800, bounce to 1200, etc etc, until it would eventually dip a bit too low and stall. Trying to control it with the throttle was nigh on impossible, unless you held the revs at 1500 rpm+. This was the initial problem of a dead AFM, as the next time I used the car it wouldn't run, and it turned out the flap was stuck open, and when I released it and cleaned it all up inside the flap then had far too little tension, so it still wouldn't work properly.

But, another cause (common on Mis apparently) is wear in the throttle body, allowing air past the butterfly.

JimLad

Sometimes a hunting idle is caused by an air leak. Use a can of easy start around the inlet system to see if the idle increases. If it does you've found the leak.

McDude

TADTS (They All Do That Sir) - a common phrase heard by Lotus owners but applies perfectly to 205s

Guest 205bandit

Yes they all do it! it will probally never be perfect, serious cases are usually the AFM like said.

jackherer
TADTS (They All Do That Sir) - a common phrase heard by Lotus owners but applies perfectly to 205s

Yes they all do it! it will probally never be perfect, serious cases are usually the AFM like said.

NOT TRUE!

I have made countless 205 GTIs idle perfectly.

Sign in to follow this