• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
watford1gti

Rear Hub

watford1gti

right where do i start,

i replaced the rear beam on my pug, it all went on ok but when it come to tightening up the n/s hub nut the drum just locks up, the o/s one was fine when i torqued the hub nut the drum still spun, but the n/s just locks up

i tried coming to a happy medium with the hub nut being tight and the drum not locking up but this leaves a horrible rattling noise, and will obviously cause damage to the bearing

because there is new brakes at the back is this a bleeding/adjusting problem?

cheers matt

pug_ham

Have you tried fitting the hub & torquing it up without the brakes on?

Are they the same hubs you've used before? It is possible you've got one for the 30mm wide shoes & one for the 40mm wide shoes if they are new / different.

Graham.

watford1gti

pugtorque when you say without the brakes on, do you mean with them in but not adjusted up??

also they are new hubs,so how can i check what size they are?

i might be havin a dumb moment but is it a case of just measuring the width of the pad??

cheer matt

welshpug

yes, gti brake shoes are 40mm wide, the drum should be at least 40mm deep where the shoes contact.

by hub I guess you mean the Drum with integrated hub.

non-gti drums/shoes have a 30mm wide brake shoe which is where the problem may be if the Drum is new.

what graham was meaning was to take the shoes off the backplate and try the drum on.

one thing we don't know though, is it a 1.6 gti?

pug_ham
pugtorque when you say without the brakes on, do you mean with them in but not adjusted up??
what graham was meaning was to take the shoes off the backplate and try the drum on.

I mean't as Merion said.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this