• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adamc

Push Button Engine Start!

adamc

I am thinking about putting a push button start onto my pug. To do this would i just use the button to bridge the wire coming from the ignition barrel. There are 3 wires, red yellow and black. I am guessing the red is constant (1st click on the key) black is earth and the yellow one is the "start" wire. So would i just put the button between the black and yellow wire?

Also they are fairly thick cables and i am worried that some off the buttons i have seen don't look like they could take many amps.

If anyone has put a push start in before can you shed some light on how u did it?

Alan_M

Probably better to use a relay to switch the starter, and use the switch you have to activate the relay (coil). ;)

Then you don't have the issue of lots of amps on your switch.

gti-si

I think you'll find there should be 4 wires?. I cant remember which colour is which, but there should be an Orange, Yellow, Red and then a Green I think? One will be a constant live, then first click ignition (indicators, fan, radio etc), then you have second click, which is for the engine management, relays etc and then you have your cranking wire.

You would need to bridge the cranking wire (yellow or oranage iirc) and constant live with the button. You would still need the keey to get your switched live to the engine management and fuel pump etc obviously

I may be very wrong.

Edited by gti-si

adamc

thanks that is a great help, i was also thinking about the relay option, either way shouldn't be too hard to do. Got no real reason for putting the push start in anyway, apart from the fact i fancy doing something to my car :).

jim205GTI

I believe Dreasmweaver posted up a diagram of how he did his push start button on his old pug...... <_<

Rob_the_Sparky
Probably better to use a relay to switch the starter, and use the switch you have to activate the relay (coil). :lol:

Then you don't have the issue of lots of amps on your switch.

Usually right but in this case the wire only drives the solenoid on the starter, in effect a large relay, so you don't need to support much current.

It all seems a bit pointless to fit a button TBH but if you really want to then from memory the yellow is the starter (either yellow or orange but pretty sure it is yellow). You just need to get 12V to the correct wire and the starter will turn, still need the key to turn on the rest of the ignition and release the steering lock.

adamc
Usually right but in this case the wire only drives the solenoid on the starter, in effect a large relay, so you don't need to support much current.

It all seems a bit pointless to fit a button TBH but if you really want to then from memory the yellow is the starter (either yellow or orange but pretty sure it is yellow). You just need to get 12V to the correct wire and the starter will turn, still need the key to turn on the rest of the ignition and release the steering lock.

so it a button should cope with the current. The wires coming off the ignition are a few mm thick, That was my only real consern. Looks pretty straight forward to do then! Thanks

adamc

Right is all fitted and wired in now, very straight forward job and works a treat, thanks to all the help

Grim.Badger

Or for anyone else thinking of doing this, just run a wire direct from the battery to the switch and then another wire to the solenoid - Job done and the ignition loom is untouched!

jackherer
Or for anyone else thinking of doing this, just run a wire direct from the battery to the switch and then another wire to the solenoid - Job done and the ignition loom is untouched!

Just make sure you put a fuse right by the battery or you risk setting fire to your pug!

Grim.Badger
Just make sure you put a fuse right by the battery or you risk setting fire to your pug!

Knew I'd forgotten something :rolleyes:

timb1046

and doing it this way will also mean that when your button breaks (as happend to my mate) you can still use the key! and are not stuck 20 miles from home trying to play with wireing in the dark!

Sign in to follow this