• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
benje

Deciphering Peugeot Bolt Sizes

benje

Ok, I'm after some replacment bolts and nuts for my balljoint clamp on the 306. Now before I go and pay peugeot £4 for 2 bolts and 2 nuts is there an easy way to decipher the information from the service box?

Peugeot state the bolt is: 10x150-50

and the nut is : 10x150-12 6-16

Right, so am I right in thinking this is nothing more than a M10 x 50mm? Whats the 150 there for?

Thanks all

Ben

Ryan

M10x50mm is correct. 150 is the thread pitch - 1.5mm.

benje

Ryan,

Excellent mate much appreciated ;)

Tom Fenton

Not as simple as that, it needs to be a BOLT with a plain shank for part of the length. If you fit a SET SCREW (fully threaded) you will find you have play in the balljoint again in no time.

welshpug

also make sure they are High Tensile Steel, grade 8.8 minimum, and don't over-tighten them ;)

Jrod

I ordered brand new wishbone bolts from Pug the other day and they are totally the treaded, I decided to reuse the old ones but a bit off coming from the dealer! :)

welshpug

that's apparently quite Common, I got some recently that were correct though.

Tom Fenton
I ordered brand new wishbone bolts from Pug the other day and they are totally the treaded, I decided to reuse the old ones but a bit off coming from the dealer! :)

I've also had the same thing in the wishbone bush kit, with set screws supplied for the inner bush pivots. I re used the old proper bolts.

benje

I'll probably end up getting some stainless ones off the web. The left hand one was slightly bent :o :o so it definately needs replacing.

While we are on the topic of wishbones if anyone is still reading. I've replaced them both as the rear bushes were completely shot, i.e the wishbone had about an inch of movement in the bush at the back :( Only thing is, the left one now seems to crack when pulling off. Have I over torqued something somewhere? Or would the knackered wishbone have destroyed something else, and new wishbones are highlighting the issue?

Cheers all

Ben

Tom Fenton

First off all DO NOT use a stainless bolt, they are no way near as strong as a proper high tensile steel bolt, basically NOT suitable for this application.

When you replaced the wishbones did you put the car on its wheels before tightening up the wishbone bolts? If not this could be your problem.

jackherer
Only thing is, the left one now seems to crack when pulling off.

If you can't find any play in the wishbones check the subframe bolts are correctly torqued.

benje

Yeah i lowered the car and tightened them on the ground to the specified torque. I think i'll have another go this weekend. Although one thing i did notice is that there was still a bit of play in the wheel holding it at 9 and 3 o'clock, and pulling it and pushing it towards me. I can only assume it's killed the track rod end also. Which kind of makes of sense as the movement of the knackered wishbone was being transmitted back through the rack to the steering wheel.

Thanks for the tip on the bolts i'll get some high tensile jobs then.

Ben.

Sign in to follow this