• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Removing An Engine?

Ethos

Hi guys,

I can get an engine crane of a mate, but was wondering how hard it would be to remove an engine myself if I haven't done it before?

I'm up for giving it a go (I think) on my own, but thought i'd ask as it could be a 2 man job and I'd end up getting crushed / stuck.

easypug

It can be done alone quite easily, the only period its useful to have an extra set of eyes is when your lifting the engine out or putting the engine back on its mounts.

Dan Ingram

Easy enough on your own. I've done it a few times. Just be careful when removing it that you've disconnected everything. I've forgotten the water pipes on the back of the block before.

Ethos
Easy enough on your own. I've done it a few times. Just be careful when removing it that you've disconnected everything. I've forgotten the water pipes on the back of the block before.

Cool, thanks guys. This is what I want to hear.

I'm planning an mi16 conversion, a real novice though but would like to be able to do as much as possible myself before begging for help!! :(

What would you say was needed to lift it out, a good socket set, axle stands and a lift or is there anything else i've overlooked? Maybe a breaker bar?

Might do a search on the procedure of taking the engine out so I can do it in the correct order, wonder if this is covered in the haynes....

Dan Ingram

A breaker bar and socket for the hub nuts. Just a decent socket set, some spanners and screwdrivers will be enough to do the rest. Axel stands are a definite.

Ethos
A breaker bar and socket for the hub nuts. Just a decent socket set, some spanners and screwdrivers will be enough to do the rest. Axel stands are a definite.

I've got the 150 piece professional set from halfords, so I'm hoping I shouldn't need any more... although saying that I've just got a halfords trade card so if I do end up needing a piece I should be able to get one cheap!!

steve@cornwall

I can lend a hand ( or just an eye if you really want the experience :( ) or you could come around when I remove the engine / box from my breaker for some experience :) before letting loose on yours.

Always do them alone - but be warned.... I don't use a crane,,,,)

Edited by steve@cornwall

Ethos
I can lend a hand ( or just an eye if you really want the experience :( ) or you could come around when I remove the engine / box from my breaker for some experience :) before letting loose on yours.

Always do them alone - but be warned.... I don't use a crane,,,,)

When are you planning to do that? I totally want the experience, taking things apart if fun!

I was thinking about maybe doing it this weekend, depends when the mi16 can be delivered, but ideally I want a week in between to tidy the engine bay up and get everything sorted. (Ha, I sound like I have a plan).

Edited by Ethos

steve@cornwall
When are you planning to do that? I totally want the experience, taking things apart if fun!

I was thinking about maybe doing it this weekend, depends when the mi16 can be delivered, but ideally I want a week in between to tidy the engine bay up and get everything sorted. (Ha, I sound like I have a plan).

Actually, this weekend would be a good idea , weather permitting- garage isn't wide enough to do both shafts!- but I have a little "trick" there anyway :(

Baz

Easy!!

I'm probably a little well practised now though... :(

Ethos
Actually, this weekend would be a good idea , weather permitting- garage isn't wide enough to do both shafts!- but I have a little "trick" there anyway :(

:)

Give me a shout when you know when you're doing it, hopefully I can come up and get some tips from the pro!

steve@cornwall
:(

Give me a shout when you know when you're doing it, hopefully I can come up and get some tips from the pro!

"Ere - those charges were never proven - I had a perfectly good reason to be in that park..................not my fault I forgot to bring the dog...................I've never even met George bloody Michael.........................

danpug

I may be able to lend a hand as well.

steve@cornwall
I may be able to lend a hand as well.

That would be good, get loads done - and you and Tom could talk conversions, too? :) ( I've still got some cash of yours, too Dan)

Edited by steve@cornwall

danpug

Oooh, i forgot all about that! That'll buy a few cans :)

CaptainK

Owww... can I come too? Make it a proper South West meet taking 205s apart. I'd love the experience of working on cars too (being I'm a complete numpty).

All I have to do is come up with an excuse to escape from her indoors..... :)

steve@cornwall
Owww... can I come too? Make it a proper South West meet taking 205s apart. I'd love the experience of working on cars too (being I'm a complete numpty).

All I have to do is come up with an excuse to escape from her indoors..... :)

More than welcome, K. You down here for the weekend, then? There's just engine/'box,front susp, rear beam, fuel tank and piping left to strip, so not an awful lot!!

drop me a PM if you want a contact number

Ethos
More than welcome, K. You down here for the weekend, then? There's just engine/'box,front susp, rear beam, fuel tank and piping left to strip, so not an awful lot!!

drop me a PM if you want a contact number

Lets get cracking mate! :)

Sign in to follow this