• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupes

Tyres Knackered Or Badly Balanced?

Rupes

This may be a stupid question but let me explain the scenario.

I bought some 1.6 pepperpot alloys for my TU, they were a bit bashed and scrapped but I rubbed them down, filled the dints and scratches, primed, sprayed and lacquered them. They look great.

Then I took them to my discount tyre fitters who fitted some discount tyres but then said they couldn't balance them because there are no centre caps but that Kwik Fit could do them. I was keen to bung them on, so the tyre place stuck them on the car for me. Anyway, I never seemed to have time to get them balanced and they didn't seem too bad anyway and I did probably 1000 miles, but as time went by the I noticed the car vibrating more, so I took it to said Kwik Fit.

The car didn't seem any better once balanced and eventually, last weekend, I had to take the wheels off and put the old TU steelies back on, at motor way speeds the car shook so much that you could feel it through the seat, steering wheel, gear stick and see it on the dash!!!

So now to the question (three really): Have I been stupid and worn the tyres so that balancing would make no difference; have they been badly balanced (where do other members get their pepperpots balanced) or are the wheels just too knackered?

And another thing, the ride got much harsher with the 14" wheels (185 tyres) compared to the 13" 165ers, is this to be expected?

Explanation appreciated, then I can bang my head against a wall for being stupid - probably.

Fox

I dont know if running unbalanced wheels will damage the tyres, but I'd imagine it would damage steering and suspension components.

Wheels without removable centre caps require a special fitting to balance them, and as far as I know / been told are a pig to balance.

Take them back, or try somewhere else to balance them.

The ride will be harsher due to the lower profile of the tyre. But will be better!

Edited by Fox

Mikey S

at motorway speeds its more likely to be the rear wheels out of balance. are you sure the wheels are all running true?

Sign in to follow this