• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pete1986

Will It Pass The Mot With These Problems?

pete1986

Last week i took the 205 for its MOT, and unsuprisingly, it failed. I knew it was gonna fail, but it did it with flying colours! Dangerous on 4 points; knackered trailing arm, rear wheel bearing, and both ball joints on the wishbones. It meandered everywhere!

Anyway, i treated it to a new(ish) rear beam with BBM solid mounts, new wishbones and an OE top mount kit with BBM fast road rubbers. With these and the gaz coilover kit, it now handles and drives like an absolute dream.

However, there are a few things my mate and i noticed whist doing the work, which are as follows;

- burst offside inner cv boot

- play in track rod end, along with wheel alignment being well out after the work was completed (with wheel straight, steering wheel 1/8 - 1/6 of a turn to the left)

- slight play in front offside wheel bearing i guess the mot tester didnt pick this up because of the worn ball joint

So my question is, will it pass the re-test with these problems? And how much play does there have to be in a wheel bearing before it goes from advisory to fail?

Cheers, Pete

Mods - Hope this is the right section

Edited by pete1986

Baz

Inner CV boot not really, if it was an outer then a fail, but i think inner's are tester's discretion, and if the play is excessive then yes.

t16ryan
Inner CV boot not really, if it was an outer then a fail, but i think inner's are tester's discretion, and if the play is excessive then yes.

As Baz says inner boot isnt a fail only an advisory. :) the rest if bad enough wil lfail :)

Miles

I'd superglue the boot up, Do the wheel bearing and TRE, My local place has just installed a new ramp with a hyd ball joint tester's, moves the wheel's from side to side and you'll be amazed what moves under those conditions

Mikey S
- burst offside inner cv boot

- play in track rod end, along with wheel alignment being well out after the work was completed (with wheel straight, steering wheel 1/8 - 1/6 of a turn to the left)

- slight play in front offside wheel bearing i guess the mot tester didnt pick this up because of the worn ball joint

So my question is, will it pass the re-test with these problems? And how much play does there have to be in a wheel bearing before it goes from advisory to fail?

Cheers, Pete

inner cv boot is an advisory item but definately worth doing anyway.

track rod end should of been picked up but probably not noticed due to balljoint play, same with the bearing.

its all down to the testers descretion whether to fail it or not. im a tester and if it was a slight bit of play i would pass and advise, any more and i would fail it.

mike

pete1986

Cheers guys

Iv got the cv boot, track rod end and allignment all sorted now. Well, the alligment is out the other way a bit now :) Its better though, so it'll be ok for now. The track rod end was a complete c**t to get out, esspecially with no heat.

So just the wheel bearing left. Happy days :) Its so pleasing to have no niggles or small problems left, question is 'how long will it last?'

steve@cornwall
question is 'how long will it last?'

How far is the test station from your house? :)

Sign in to follow this