• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mark80

Some Newbie Questions,

Mark80

Hi guys, been reading this forum loads but only just registered.

I recently got myself a 205 gti to turn into a track car.

I got loads of spare parts, gearboxes, rear axle etc with the car but i'm struggling to identify them. I've searched and can find views on what gear box is better etc and that the 309 rear axle is better but is there any way to identify the items Ive got?

Also Ive rebuilt a spare 1.9 engine that came with the car and it starts good. Im struggling with the gearbox though. How does the release bearing stay on the clutch arm? Mine seems to just fall off and jamb. I also dont have a clutch alighment tool, if i get the gearbox on fine is the clutch centered ok? Any help really appreciate guys. thanks in advance.

Goliath

Post up some pics of the bits you want identifying and im sure someone will be able to help.

You will need a clutch alignment tool or a good substitute, they're dirt cheap on ebay.

steve@cornwall
Post up some pics of the bits you want identifying and im sure someone will be able to help.

You will need a clutch alignment tool or a good substitute, they're dirt cheap on ebay.

Clutch alignment is simple enough by eye/feel on the 205 IMO. If the 'box is on - you've done it!

Mark80
Clutch alignment is simple enough by eye/feel on the 205 IMO. If the 'box is on - you've done it!

Thats great, so if the box is on, then the clutch is centered enough? Just because my clutch was sticking and i wondered if this was why.

Now if anyone can let me know how the release bearing stays on the fork im happy!

Will also post up pics of the boxs and rear beam i got to see if anyone can identify them, thanks guys.

Edited by Mark80

Phil H
Now if anyone can let me know how the release bearing stays on the fork im happy!

Early type of release bearing slides on nice and snug, later type clips on and is wise to cable tie in place as it always falls off when putting the box back on !!!

ifcho

I use a ratchet extender bit, wrapped in some insulation tape for aligning the clutch.

Mark80
Early type of release bearing slides on nice and snug, later type clips on and is wise to cable tie in place as it always falls off when putting the box back on !!!

Thats great info thanks. I cable tied it on through where the original wire clips go, slides nice now. Unfortunately i got the box back on the car and same problem, the clutch release fork is just solid and doesn't move. could the clutch be the problem, do they jamb? thanks again.

Phil H
Thats great info thanks. I cable tied it on through where the original wire clips go, slides nice now. Unfortunately i got the box back on the car and same problem, the clutch release fork is just solid and doesn't move. could the clutch be the problem, do they jamb? thanks again.

Does the clutch work when you press the pedal or are you saying the arm on the box is solid, which it should be as thee is no way you could operate the clutch by hand pessure on this lever.

Mark80
Does the clutch work when you press the pedal or are you saying the arm on the box is solid, which it should be as thee is no way you could operate the clutch by hand pessure on this lever.

The arm on the box is solid, i did think I would be able to move it by hand though! However when I hook up the clutch cable the pedal is solid too! The pedal and cable move freely before I hook up the cable to the arm.

Also if i need a new clutch are the 1.9 and 1.6 clutches the same as I might put a 1.6 box on!

Thanks for your help as im stumped!

Edited by Mark80

Baz

1.6 and 1.9 clutches are the same yes, boxes are interchangeable.

With the cable connected properly etc the clutch should then of course work. If you've got the release bearing on and in the right place anyway.

Richie-Van-GTi

clutch plate is in backwards if its gone solid. :blush:

Mark80
clutch plate is in backwards if its gone solid. :wacko:

Ill double check but the plate had "flywheel side" stamped on it so pretty sure ive got that right. I have another clutch from a 1.9 kicking about too. If i had got the different bearing or plates mixed up could that cause the problems, thanks oh knowledgeable ones!

Richie-Van-GTi

the side with the most protrusion is the side that goes towards the clutch cover, least protrusion to flywheel. When tightened on the spring arms should pull inwards on the clutch cover. Hope thats of help.

Mark80
the side with the most protrusion is the side that goes towards the clutch cover, least protrusion to flywheel. When tightened on the spring arms should pull inwards on the clutch cover. Hope thats of help.

The flywheel is on right, the clutch and plate are on the right way, bearing slides ok, arm works, put it all together and its solid! aaargh. The clutch plate is centered with the fly wheel but the clutch housing doesnt seem centered with it all so maybe thats knackered and the bearing cant push it properly. Im going to order a new clutch and hopefully that fixes it.

Edited by Mark80

Sign in to follow this