• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Wheel Stud Conversion

Tom Fenton

Whilst changing wheels over before going to Donington the other day we discovered most of the front wheel bolts were, to put it bluntly, kn@ckered. The threads on the end 15mm or so where they engage into the drive flange were either pulled or had gone completely.

A quick tapping out of the flanges and some new wheel bolts and all was well for Donington, however we are now looking to convert to studs and nuts for more thread engagement between the parts that get dismantled often.

I know there was a group buy on here recently which I have missed, but does anyone know the best place to get the studs and flat seat nuts from?

Thanks

Rippthrough
Whilst changing wheels over before going to Donington the other day we discovered most of the front wheel bolts were, to put it bluntly, kn@ckered. The threads on the end 15mm or so where they engage into the drive flange were either pulled or had gone completely.

A quick tapping out of the flanges and some new wheel bolts and all was well for Donington, however we are now looking to convert to studs and nuts for more thread engagement between the parts that get dismantled often.

I know there was a group buy on here recently which I have missed, but does anyone know the best place to get the studs and flat seat nuts from?

Thanks

I've got 12 studs here you can have, but no nuts.

daza4

Rally Design. thats where I was going to buy mine before the group buy came up.

Or Ebay. but you have to trust the bay !!!!

Edited by daza4

pug_ham

Leave ebay unless you find a decent priced set, I saw some this week priced @ £12 + p&p for each hub. (4 x studs & nuts) but there was a full set which worked out a couple of quid more in price as the group buy when it was still running iirc.

Rallydesign sell the same parts as I got through the group buys but for a bit more cash.

It could be worth giving Miles a try to see if he can get you some or call Graystone engineering to find your nearest stockist.

Graham.

boombang

Just be very very wary about what you buy.

I have a full set of the Pug Sport type and we have run these on a friend rally car for years now with no problems. Each rally we probably change tyres 5 or 6 times.

The other car runs on the RD kit and on an innitial torque of 85lb/ft it stripped the thread of the nuts. This was not the first time using them by any means, probably this car has had the wheels off 50 or 60 times since fitting 3 rallies ago - but still very worrying.

The type that stripped were open headed, look like zinc coated steel, and still nice and shiny.

pug_ham
Just be very very wary about what you buy.

I have a full set of the Pug Sport type and we have run these on a friend rally car for years now with no problems. Each rally we probably change tyres 5 or 6 times.

The other car runs on the RD kit and on an innitial torque of 85lb/ft it stripped the thread of the nuts. This was not the first time using them by any means, probably this car has had the wheels off 50 or 60 times since fitting 3 rallies ago - but still very worrying.

The type that stripped were open headed, look like zinc coated steel, and still nice and shiny.

The kits from RD is bought by them from Graystone, they even list them under the same part numbers on the RD website. I don't believe they'd knowingly sell shody goods (Graystone or RD) due to the nature of use for them so you must've been unfortuante & suffered a bad batch.

I've fitted wheels to my car with the Graystone kit countless times & as yet to suffer any problems, the only problem I have had was with a PTS stud on a radius arm I got on a beam which sheared off flush with the hub leaving me in need of a new disc hub & almost missing a trackday. :)

Graham.

Henry Yorke

I got some from the last group buy and have run wheels with 10mm non hubcentric spacers on them and they have been fine. They are now also fine on my SL434's but they do have a 60 degree taper on the nuts instead of a flat faced design.

jackherer
I've fitted wheels to my car with the Graystone kit countless times & as yet to suffer any problems, the only problem I have had was with a PTS stud on a radius arm I got on a beam which sheared off flush with the hub leaving me in need of a new disc hub & almost missing a trackday. :lol:

I've had four sets of graystone studs/nuts and one set was definitely dodgy, several threads went and some of the nuts disintegrated and got stuck on the studs which likewise almost caused us to miss a trackday. The other three sets have been fine.

309PUG

AB Motorsport sell these, top quality, give Andy a call.

Chris

Sign in to follow this