• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Intermittent Electrical Fault

dch1950

Hi guys,

I have recently just started having a problem with the supply to the following items: radio,wipers,indicators, dash instruments (except rev counter),heater blower,washers,wipers.

Quite a list - i checked all the relevant fuses in glove box and all are OK. Further investigation showed that all above will work with ignition switch in the first 2 positions, as soon as I start the engine all the above lose their supply,Also if I turn the key to the second position and jiggle the key (without starting the engine) the supply fluctuates. Now I can see that it might well be a problem with the ignition switch itself being worn. If I get a new switch presumably it comes with key, or do I just get a new barrel for my existing key. Has anyone done this swap?

Any help gratefully received

regards

Dave

Tommer

i reckon it will be your ignition barrel, try borrowing one from someone with one out of their car to prove thats what it is before spending the money (easy to remove). although I bought a complete set off ebay (both doors, petrol cap, boot and ignition barrel + 2 keys) for £40 including P&P.

i haven't heart of being able to buy a barrel for your lock, usually just buy a new lock set... unless you don't mind having different keys for different things you could just buy an ignition barrel.

Sign in to follow this