• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jean_quemener

Just A Few Gearbox Questions.

Jean_quemener

hi im mid process of cleaning up my little 1.9 beauty, and im intending to change the clutch, water pump and cam belt. A friend of a friend will be giving me a hand as this is the first my first every project car and my knowledge is a little limited, the person who is helping me has a 1.6 gearbox and has asked if i would like to have this gearbox on my car as a replacement for my 1.9 box, the gearbox is at his workshop and is just sat on the floor not connected to an engine, im not sure how long this box has been on the floor, i am just after a little advise on how to check weather the gear box is in good condition or not? any information would be grate

thanks jean :)

alync406

There is not really any way to tell that the gearbox ok until it is in the car unless you take the whole gearbox apart,and check the baulk rings,bearings,etc.

Tommer

if you put a 1.6 gearbox on a 1.9 engine, wont you just get faster acceleration up until a point then just get to a point where you can't go any faster? you'll have a slower top speed and poorer fuel econ...

Rom

Yeah acceleration will be quicker, but top end will be lower.

Personally, i think the 1.9 is too long. A lot of people run Mi boxes, which are slightly longer than 1.6, but still a lot shorter than a 1.9. Or they mix and match gears etc from various models.

It really depends what you want the car for. A 1.6 box will be a lot revier to drive.

Mark80

How can you tell the difference between a 1.6 box and a 1.9 box when they are out of the car and how do you know what type of reverse it has? thanks and sorry to hijack!

Sign in to follow this