• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Testing A Wiper Motor Off The Car

GLPoomobile

Is it OK to connect a 12V battery directly to a wiper motor to test it?

What wires (or pins on the plug) should I conect to? Do I just connect the ground back to the negative on the battery?

Baz

I've tested a wiper motor albeit on a car but straight to the connections from a battery, was fine. Sorry can't remember which connections though!

Super Josh

Is this for yout 106 wiper motor then Steve? If it is, then just fit it, you'll be pleased with the results :)

Josh

GLPoomobile
Is this for yout 106 wiper motor then Steve? If it is, then just fit it, you'll be pleased with the results :)

Josh

Yes it is. There's no hurry to fit it as such as I have plenty of other jobs to do before I can re-MOT it and get it back on the road. I can't test it on the car as I have all the +VE and earth cables removed at the moment as they are all going to be replaced.

I was planning on just doing a simple test of both motors to see if there is any truth in 106 motors being quicker. Basically connect to +12v, and with a pin attached to the spindle, count how many revolutions per minute the motor spins at (assuming it isn't too fast to count!). I took the new motor apart last night and it looks in very good nick, so if there is any difference in them I'll need to bear that in mind, as they old motor is probably past it's best.

EDIT: does your comment above mean that you've fitted yours?

Edited by GLPoomobile

Super Josh

You should be able to test it off the car very easily. Ignore the 3 wires that go to the gearbox case where the 'Parking Mechanism' is located, and just connect up to the two wires that go to the motor case.

You should be able to count the revolutions okay. They aren't too fast, but you may find it easier if you attach something to the spindle to aide your counting. <_< Just bear in mind that the free running speed doesn't tell the whole story, it's the torque of the later motors that mean they don't slow down so much under load that counts (where have we heard this story before :rolleyes: )

Yep. fitted mine and regreased the spindles and ball joints at the same time. Very easy job to do. The mechanism is only held in with 5 nuts. Really, really pleased with the results, wipers are like those on a modern car now <_<

We're expecting rain tomorrow, so I'll take a video and post up the results.

Josh

Sign in to follow this