• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
benny205mi16

Mi16, Age Of Donor Car

benny205mi16

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right section for this question, Sorry if I have put it in the wrong one.

What I am asking is,

I have a mi16 engine which I am going to put into a 205 1.9 gti,

I am now looking to buy the car do I need to get one from before a certain year,

with regards to mot test time and passing emisions.

Also do I want one with out a cat in the exhaust.

thanks

jord294

any model before '93 would do you.

it doesn't even have to be a 1.9. if you bought a 1.6, you'd have a gearbox for added acceleration, and a back axle with drum brakes which would be slightly more efficient than a disc back axle.

the only down side i can think of is the 1.6 front brakes. i'd upgrade to 1.9 hubs, driveshafts and calipers

Ryan

MOT and emissions are tested according to whichever is oldest, the car or the engine.

The 205 and the Mi16 both got cats in about 1993, so as long as either the car OR the engine is older than that then you won't need one.

benny205mi16

jord294,

so the rear drums of a 1.6 would be better than rear disks of a 1.9,

I just assumed that disks would be better.

I was thinking of getting a 309 gti rear beam to fit to the rear,for the slightly wider track and the use of disks.

for this would I be better with a 1.9 because of there already being disks there,

or is it really not worth changing to a 309, as it is only going to be a road car, with maybe the odd track day(1 per year or so) just for fun.

Also I am correct in thinking that 1.9s came with electric windows and central locking, and 1.6s did not.

Sorry for all the questions I am still new to 205s.

Thanks

Ryan
Also I am correct in thinking that 1.9s came with electric windows and central locking, and 1.6s did not.

Electric windows and central locking (from the drivers door) were standard on the 1.9, and optional extras on the 1.6. Remote central locking (from a fob) are optional on both.

bobob
jord294,

so the rear drums of a 1.6 would be better than rear disks of a 1.9,

I just assumed that disks would be better.

I was thinking of getting a 309 gti rear beam to fit to the rear,for the slightly wider track and the use of disks.

for this would I be better with a 1.9 because of there already being disks there,

or is it really not worth changing to a 309, as it is only going to be a road car, with maybe the odd track day(1 per year or so) just for fun.

Sorry for all the questions I am still new to 205s.

Thanks

There's loads of info on the main site (http://www.205gtidrivers.com) that might help: http://205gtidrivers.com/info/techspecs.html :D

Edited by bobob

benny205mi16

Thank you for your help,

looking at the link, I never realised there were so many versions of the 1.6 and 1.9s.

Super Josh
Remote central locking (from a fob) are optional on both.

Almost, they were standard on both in phase 2 form. :ph34r:

Josh

benny205mi16

At what age did the phase two come out?

are they before 93?

GLPoomobile

Putting a disc braked beam on a 1.6 is simple. You just need 1.9 handbrake cables. It does complicate things if you want to replace the flexi brake hoses with braided ones as you will have a mix of 1.6 and 1.9 and there is no off the shelf kit for it.

The 2 negatives of discs is the pads can fall out (very dangerous) unless you lock wire them in, and you can have handbrake failure if you leave the car with hot brakes (the discs cool down and then shrink so the handbrake doesn't hold the car, leading to a runaway car if left on a hill).

On a light car like a 205 drum brakes are not a backwards step like most think. The only thing I don't like about them is they are a bit harder to work on than discs.

benny205mi16

As well as being after a car which is good for the mi16 engine,( from what I have learnt so far must be a GTI)

I would also like some nice bits, like electric windows, central locking another reason I was thinking the 1.9,

but as these cost more than the 1.6s, I might settle on a 1.6 and look at fitting electric windows and central locking at a later date.

Is is a regular thing for the 1.9 hand brake to loosen as the disks cool, or does it take hard driving/braking?

Ryan
At what age did the phase two come out?

are they before 93?

Late 1990 was the changeover.

GLPoomobile

The handbrake thing is not a specific trait of the 205 GTI, any car with disc brakes can have this happen. The discs would have to be very hot as soon as you apply the handbrake, which is not common under general drriving conditions as the rear brakes don't do a lot of work.

My 205 was nearly taken out by a big Audi that had a handbrake failure, and M@tt on here totalled the front of his 205 after his full respray when the handbrake failed on a hill.

Retro fitting leccy windows and CL is easy so better to find a cheaper 1.6.

KRISKARRERA

They're all knackered now, you have no choice but to get an Xsara VTS. :)

Sign in to follow this