• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ANDYMISIXTEEN

Oil Presssure Gauge

ANDYMISIXTEEN

I want to get an aftermarket oil presssure gauge for my mi16. Do i need an electrical or mechanical one? Any recommendations on make? Where do they plum into?

ifcho

I personally think electrical is better...I don't like the idea of having high pressure oil feed to your dash...

AutoMeter do not so expensive gauges (which are no good for me, as they are in imperial units) but I guess, they will do the work for you. SummitRacing.com have an online catalogue

RonnieG

The one I have in my Mi16 engine is a Smiths mechanical one from an old shape 'BL' Mini that was kicking about the garage with it's original hose & connector into the block. I'm sure the thread was the same - All I did was remove the original Peugeot electrical sender & screw in the Smiths one.

Hardest part was getting access to the sender under the inlet manifold - Guage is very quick to react now though...

Will an aftermarket gauge be more accurate than the standard gti one? Do i want 0-100 psi like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Auto-meter-Autometer...1QQcmdZViewItem Also do i need to get a sensor?

brumster

I shared the same concerns with mechanical ones; the previous owner/builder had one fitted and while I'm sure it was very accurate, it slowly spewed oil behind my dash and made a right mess. I now run one of these :-

http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/digitalgauges.asp

Accurate and has lots of nice features like configurable warning on temp/pressure high/low, and tell-tale. Just don't fit the sender directly into the block - they don't last long with the vibration if you do, apparently, so need to be fitted remotely in the engine bay via a pressure hose.

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Is it the gauge or the sender tht isnt very good as standard?

ifcho

I've just ordered this one:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

AutoMeter have good reputation in the US and many big competition teams are using them. From what I've read they have recently acquired STACK.

Don't have any observations about the quality of the gauge however...

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Will i also need to get a new sender or will the standard one work/be ok?

ifcho

the one I ordered (the link above) has a sending unit included:

Sending Unit Included: Yes

You will need to buy an adapter however.

BossHogg

I went for a stack one, mechanical. I can understand the concerns about having the oil feed up into the dash, but as an expert user of PTFE tape and grollying things up tight, i'm quite happy that it shouldn't leak. :D

This is how i mounted mine,

30042008082.jpg

30042008083.jpg

Sign in to follow this