• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alastairh

Inconsistant Rev Limiter?

Alastairh

My daily Mi 205 which i must add has been quite a pleasure to drive the last couple of month has a eye brow raising problem.

Running proper 3 row management, and converted into the 205 loom properly, the rev limiter which should be at 7200 rpm seems to almost come in where it wants according to the rev counter. Yes the rev counter could be out, but i can't see no pattern to the figures im getting.

I've seen 6500, 6900, 7200, and even 6100. Ok i could get round the problem by not reving that high, but being a mi it likes it, also i hate mechanical niggles, so its something id like to the bottom with.

Your views people, anyone else noticed this?

Worth trying a different rev counter/ecu?

Btw, this has nothing to do with my signature name thingy, thats to do with a washing machine i bought 2 weeks back :wacko:

Al

Edited by Alastairh

Anthony

Is it mainly in 1st/2nd you see the "early limiting" issue? Some 205 rev counters seem to be quite slow and lag behind the actual engine speed in lower gears giving the impression that you're hitting the limiter early, but are fine in higher ones (when the revs climb slower).

Otherwise, try swapping the ignition amp over as that's a frequent candidate for rev-limiter like symptoms.

Oh, and my washing machine has a "Special Sports" mode (I kid you not) - beat that :wacko:

Alastairh

Special sports mode, you mean its got the drying application a.k.a a blower :lol: Sure thats not to compinsate for the fact you still haven't bought that turbo charged jap crap? :)

Anyway, i shall do what you mentioned when im back from the company beer run :wacko:

Al

Edited by Alastairh

skeggyrik

Do you think it "feels" like it's cutting in early some of the time or are you just going on what you see on the rev counterometerguage?

It always "felt" pretty consistent when it cut in (sound / vibes) but the gauge sometime seemed to be lagging but I just presumed that was down to the rev counter. I remember my blue one was similar however that seemed to pull way past 7200 before it cut in. Mind you it has been a while since I've driven it, memories are fading!

As Ant says they pull so fast in the lower gears it's almost like the gauge doesn't keep up

How accurate are they anyway? Does everyone else see bang on 7200 at red line?

My washing machine is generally slow but it does have rapid button.

I quite fancy one of them in my 205. :wacko:

Alastairh

I some times do *feel* as if it cuts in earlier. The one and only time i saw 6100 was in forth last week. That time it was coming to the end of a 20 mile good blast.

I shall see if i can match a rhyme :wacko:

Al

Edited by Alastairh

Anthony
How accurate are they anyway? Does everyone else see bang on 7200 at red line?

Rev counters are of somewhat questionable accuracy, like most 205 gauges - I'd say +/- 5% is about normal.

Bakes100

Mine does this also on a gti6 engine. Only in first and second and it cant keep up with the engine revs, catches me out sometimes.

Sign in to follow this