• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
austingm

Headlights And Headunit

austingm

So after an engine rebuild (corroded block) I finally have my GTI :)

I bought a converter harness to convert the factory headunit plug to ISO

All works fine but as soon as I turn on the headlights, even on sidelamps the headunit dies!!

Any ideas on how to go about solving this problem?

Also, would you use thae factory speaker wiring or would you add new wires from the headunit to the speakers?

Cheers

Austin

Coonper

Id just double check all the wiring from the headunit, and trace it all back if you can. It could just be a bad earth somewhere. Or the electrics shorting out. If its only happened since you put the iso block on it then check there are no bare wires anywhere, and that the connections in the blcoks are all tight.

If you cant solve the problem then there are ways round it...

Such as, use the red ignition live to power it up and earth it to the body somewhere, then also put a manual switch in it.

Or even a permanent live, with a manual switch, but this is really only a last resort.

And it is definitely worth running your own better quality speaker cable into the speakers. Especially if you have components.

austingm

Plugged in everything again this morning and it worked!!

Probably it wasnt pleased with a new cd player since it spent since 1992 with the factory tape player and maybe needed some time to adjust!! :lol:

jackherer

Your alternator might be on its way out, stereos tend to turn off when the supply voltage drops below a certain point.

austingm

Def not alternator as I got it serviced while rebuilding the engine! Benn working fine all day now so i'm guessing it was something stupid like the ISO plug wasnt all the way in or something

Sign in to follow this