• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mat1227

Advice Needed - Welding In Worthing Bn12

mat1227

Bit of a strange one this. With Paul's (pug309twin40s) massive help my Mi transplant is nearing completion. The engine is untilted, and running a standard alloy block Mi exhaust manifold with QEP angling plate. We have fuel, oil and coolant all sorted and spark is now nearly where it should be.

Now, the mani doesn't match up with the 1.6gti downpipe, so as I understand from various threads on here the downpipe needs chopping and re-welding at the right angle (stop me if I'm wrong :lol:). Now, I'd barely changed a wheel before this was started so don't have a clue where to begin with cutting and welding - is there anyone local who'd do this for me in return for beer tokens?

I presume I can't really drive the car round to a garage as it's not taxed or MOT'd.

Or should I just get the garage that MOTs it to sort the exhaust?

Any other suggestions? Is it a big job? Expensive? Has anyone else been in the same situation and what have you done?

Apologies, I don't have the foggiest :)

M@tt

Depends what your mot place is like but tbh i'd have a crack at it yourself first to save some cash.

Your first task is going to be taking the downpipe/exhaust off and chopping off the flange on the end of the downpipe using a hacksaw. Then get an angle grinder/chisels and remove the bit of the downpipe still inside the flange.

Once you've successfully removed the downpipe from the flange you want to reattach the the flange to the manifold on its own. Then its a case of offering up the downpipe into the flange and seeing how much it hangs down by. Then its a case of chopping off a small section from the top of the downpipe so that when you fit it back into the flange it isn't hanging so low. Don't take too much off to satrt with its better to cut a few bits off than take too much off in one go as you can put it back on :)

once you've got the downpipe at the correct length so it sits comfortably in the flange then its a case of keeping the flange and downpipe together. Ideally if you can borrow a welder just put a fw small tacks in place, if you can't get hold of one then the next option is to draw round the downpipe with a permanaent marker where it meets the flange and also put some lines down the tube and on the flange so that you have the rotation right as well.

then it's simply a case of taking it to a garage to get it welded up. make sure they weld round the inside of it as well, cost me a tenner to have mine done at the local chav exhaust place.

HTH

Edited by M@tt

mat1227

That does help, thanks M@tt - looks complex but worth a crack.

Cheers :)

mat1227

Just to add, complex for me :lol: not universally complex :lol:

:)

Sign in to follow this