• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anton green

Is This Bar From The Inner Wing To The Outer Different Lengths

Anton green

Is this bar from the inner wing to the outer different lengths on different spec 205's?

I dont remember where I found the pic, but it is well suited to this thread! If anyone wants it removing I will be happy to oblige.

post-4526-1209556571_thumb.jpg

Tom Fenton

Not that I know of.

welshpug

they are a different part number between GTI/Rallye and base spec models,

GLPoomobile

I was going to say I thought they'd be the same as it's the bumper support bar, and I thought all bumpers were the same width, but WP has jogged my memory and I can now remember that in either the Haynes manual or Service box it does show an exploded diagram with 2 different length bars.

Anton green

I thought there might be something to it. I remember reading somewhere a loooong time ago that the GTis had wider arches than lower spec models, front and rear. So it might follow that suppoting components are different.

Right, time to ring a few breakers then as one of mine has gone missing in the Great-Sheffield-car-bits-losing-contest, won every year by my mother for the last 7 years.

Edited by Anton green

welshpug

if pug can still supply them (can't see why not, not marked NFP) they're cheap at less than £8.

Rob Thomson

I bought a couple from Pug recently so they're definitely still available.

AdamP

What purpose do they serve?

Mine were completely rotten so I've thrown them away and put it back together without them.

Rom

Dont they attach to the bumper on the inside of the wing ?

If not id imagine its just some bracing for the wing. Certainly dont look like a structural part

Anton green

These bars hold the center two brackets for the front bumper in position. Without these bars the front bumber (grey or black plastic part) will have some up and down movement to it. Also they provide bracing from the inner to outer wings, I'd guess to stop them from crumpling too easilly and add some support to the area.

I am going wide arch so dont really need them to support the outer wings, but will still need something to keep the bumper support bars in position. If someone can think of something without having to use the metal rod, which is only going to serve to add extra weight for me, then let me know!

AdamP
These bars hold the center two brackets for the front bumper in position. Without these bars the front bumber (grey or black plastic part) will have some up and down movement to it. Also they provide bracing from the inner to outer wings, I'd guess to stop them from crumpling too easilly and add some support to the area.

I am going wide arch so dont really need them to support the outer wings, but will still need something to keep the bumper support bars in position. If someone can think of something without having to use the metal rod, which is only going to serve to add extra weight for me, then let me know!

I don't have any up or down movement in my bumper! And the wings seem sturdy as anything.

I'll leave them out then!

Sign in to follow this