• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
af1

Hi Considering A 205/309 Project Xu7jp4

af1

Hey there everyone i posted a topic similar to this in a thread someone made about this engine.

I have a few questions to ask.

basicially i want to build (in my garage at home) a quickish sleeper type fun car for track and 1/4 mile

I have a 1997 306 1.8 16v with body damage that i am breaking for spares, hoping to make a few quid on ebay, however i have recently had a bit of work done on the engine (full service and cam belt, waterpump etc) and cant see myself making too much money back on it, and its a pretty good engine anyway so seems a shame to waste it hehe

heres where the plan forms and the questions start lol..

i like the 205 but prefer the 309 shape, which will i be able to get cheaper, does the car need to be a GTi to start or could i shoe horn this engine into any 205 i found (i always heard that the 205 gti is different to the normal ones, body wise) if anyone knows of either car going cheaply then please let me know!

also is rust a big issue on these cars, idealy i would like to put it in a 106 as its newer but being tu engined only, i guess thats not going to happen at a good price lol

what should i save from the 306, also i have heard people say when removing s16 engines or something that you have to unplug the ecu or something whilst the engine is running and then snip a wire to stop the imobiliser from working

im trying to do this on a bit of a budget and am hoping to do the work mostly by myself will be mating it with a gti inlet and exhaust manifold of course. i dont mind if i just slowly build it over a year as and when spare cash comes in lol i am hoping to make a few quid by breaking the 306

hope you can help me, would love a standard looking 205 or 309 that could scare a few people

but i dont want to spend money on a rotten old rot box and then have to spend my time faffing around with bodywork and spraying lol

i just want something to learn on

Alan

Sandy

If you can do the immobiliser trick, (Miles can confirm the method I think), then it makes alot of sense to me. The 309GTI and base model shells are the same, but you'll need an XU subframe on the front and the fuel injection fuel tank and pipes. The exhaust might even bolt right up!

af1
If you can do the immobiliser trick, (Miles can confirm the method I think), then it makes alot of sense to me. The 309GTI and base model shells are the same, but you'll need an XU subframe on the front and the fuel injection fuel tank and pipes. The exhaust might even bolt right up!

ohh cool, so it looks like im on the hunt for a 309 then

are the rear torsion bars similar on the 309 as the 306? would be good as i have a disc'd rear beam here!

Sandy

No, 306 beam is wider and has different mounts. The arms are interchangeable though.

af1

hi still got the car and engine in my garage, shall i put the engine in a 205? or shall i find a cheap 306 3 door, how hard is it to change the tu mounts on a 106 to xu mounts?

alan

af1

i suppose i have a load of 306 parts for the conversion if i go straight for a 306

the body is knackered on mine so if anyone knows of a good shell, message me :ph34r:

welshpug

put it in the 205 :(

timmsy19

yep put it in a 205 :(

Sign in to follow this