• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
2-Pugs

How Do I Seal The Back Box Joint?

2-Pugs

As title really. I have to replace the back box on my GTI, and it has the later flange/olive type connection where the back box meets the centre section. It's easy to assemble and disassemble, but in the past I've had trouble getting it to seal without using some kind of exhaust repair putty or similiar before assembely.

Is the right sort of thing to use, or is this a bodge? Perhaps is there something else I should use, or another method of fitting & tightening to seal it?

Super Josh

Rob, you'll need to use some sealing paste. I find the best method is to line the recess in the clamp with the exhaust paste, then assemble the joint, this saves you trying to hold the two exhaust sections together covered in paste whilst trying to get the clamp and bolts around it (and yes, I speak from experience :o ).

Then just fill the gap where the clamp doesn't go round the exhaust (where the bolts are) with a bit of extra paste, let it dry out a little and then start the engine to get some heat into it and for it to harden properly. :lol:

Josh

Alastairh

Wire brush, exhaust paste, and take your time making sure the clamp catches the joint evenly.

Easy to do. :lol:

Henry Yorke

wind the clamp up evenly too. Often worth getting a new one for what they cost. You can't have too much paste either!! Also make sure your exhaust mounts are at the right angle to reduce flex in the pipe. It will blow again if it bounces as putty is not flexible

pug_ham
wind the clamp up evenly too. Often worth getting a new one for what they cost. You can't have too much paste either!!

The exhaust clamps are supposed to be single use only because the flange shape changes when they are tightened properly & they won't reseal properly a second time.

You can use to much paste, use as little as possible imo. At least that way it'll clean off easily & you have a better chance of sealing it a second, third or fourth time. At most a decent bead around the flange should be more than enough.

I don't use any on mine normally, I make sure both faces of the olive are clean & adust the backbox olive shape so it fits into the centre pipe as evenly as possible. Then with a new clamp & its seals perfectly.

Graham.

2-Pugs

Many thanks for the replies chaps. I will get some exhaust paste and give it a try.

Re. the clamp; I did ask for one when I ordered the back box from the main dealer; but according to his system they are delisted and no longer available. Ive seen them elsewhere though, but it's worth knowing not to use them more than once as thats exactly what I was planning to do :wacko:

steve@cornwall
Many thanks for the replies chaps. I will get some exhaust paste and give it a try.

Re. the clamp; I did ask for one when I ordered the back box from the main dealer; but according to his system they are delisted and no longer available. Ive seen them elsewhere though, but it's worth knowing not to use them more than once as thats exactly what I was planning to do <_<

I had a lot of trouble sealing my backbox, I think the manufacturing has left the flange misshapen around the joint face (bosal pipe) , until i flattened out some gun gum that was ,frankly, past it's best and needed reviving with water.... Don't you hate doing these jobs late on a Sunday? :wacko: I actually formed this into a gasket / washer and placed in the join - didn't go all over the place whilst jiggling the pipes and clamp into position like paste does when you're lying on your back with little room! worked a treat.

Sign in to follow this