• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Fan Switch Overide

skinner2k3

I want to be able to switch the rad fan on from inside the car.

I have a spare toggle switch which I intend to use, question is can I wire it in series with the fan directly or will I have to switch via a relay?

What sort of AMPs will the fan draw, I dont know the rating of the toggle but they are fairly heavt duty.

Cheers

sutol

Should already be a fan relay you can just switch into it I would think. The fan draws loads of juice..

RonnieG

Use a quality relay.

Admittedly mine is running twin fans but they even managed to melt the cheap relay I found and used at first when I put a separate switch inside the car.

Changed it to a decent relay & no probs since.

Fans do draw a surprising amount of juice.......

skinner2k3

Ok, I wont subject the contacts in the toggle switch to that sort of abuse then :lol:

Cheers chaps

tom_m
I want to be able to switch the rad fan on from inside the car.

I have a spare toggle switch which I intend to use, question is can I wire it in series with the fan directly or will I have to switch via a relay?

What sort of AMPs will the fan draw, I dont know the rating of the toggle but they are fairly heavt duty.

Cheers

the fan circuit is protected by a 30 amp fuse

Should already be a fan relay you can just switch into it I would think. The fan draws loads of juice..

its not on a relay as standard unless you have a diesel twin fan setup, and then its got three in to control the fancy switching.

as long as your switch gear and cables are rated to 30 amps there is no need to use a relay at all.

skinner2k3

Is the fan relay in the glove box with the rest?

welshpug
Is the fan relay in the glove box with the rest?

no

the fan circuit is protected by a 30 amp fuse

its not on a relay as standard unless you have a diesel twin fan setup, and then its got three in to control the fancy switching.

as long as your switch gear and cables are rated to 30 amps there is no need to use a relay at all.

nick

Why do you want to switch the fan on manually?

Nick

Henry Yorke

Nick

That was my thoughts too. You can get a lower temp fan switch, but remember that it is there to get the engine up to temperature as quickly as possible, when combined with the thermostat.

AdamP

I've done mine using a normal relay, a toggle switch and some wire (30 amp for the heavy stuff). Basically spliced in before the fan switch and after the fan switch! Easy peasy :wacko:

skinner2k3

Nick

I just want the option to. I would rather switch the fan on before it reaches the stat temp, before and after track sessions mainly.

Sign in to follow this