• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest rwd106

Rev Counter Stopped Working

Guest rwd106

ok ive searched and cant find an answer so.............

yesterday i replaced my starter motor and ht leads, no probs there, well apart fromt he fact my old starter motor only had 2 bolts holding it in place, the bottom one couldnt be fitted cos the thread in the SM had half sheered off!!

anyway that jobs dun, and car fires up no probs but erm.........my rev counter has stopped working, just thinking of it, maybe the speedo aswel?? (i didnt actual drive out on the road to check that!) im guessing ive prob knocked something but tbh i dont have a clue where to start looking and electrical faults confuse me, they just do!!

was wondering anyone have any suggestions as to what i have probably broken?? any remedies for fixing a non working rev counter??

any help be good thanks!!

B) www.confused.com <_<

pug_ham

Speedo is a mechanically cable driven so if its not working its either disconnected at one end or the other or the cable has snapped.

The rev counter could be as simple as fuse #1 in the fuseboard has blown which also effects a few of the dashboard guages.

What year is your car? (coil inner wing mounted or on inlet manifold)

Graham.

Guest rwd106

cheers, could b v.simple then!! my cars 93 k plate with coil on inner wing

thanks

pug_ham

Hmm, thats odd.

Any 205 GTi post mid 89 would usually have an inlet mounted coil, definately by K plate 93 anyway. B)

Are you on carbs or anything? Could explain why its now wing mounted. <_<

Graham.

steve@cornwall

Probably knocked the green shielded wire off the coil (-)

Guest rwd106

running std injection system, think the previous owner had just changed the coil to a micro dynamics high energy coil and thats where it is just behind the dizzy

pug_ham

OK, have they used the standard plug or does it have individual wires to the coil terminals?

They would've had to extend the wiring for it to reach the inner wing / behind the dizzy so its possible one of the connections has broken.

Graham.

Guest rwd106

looks as if the wires have been extended from around the area of the starter motor/gear box as the oe coil woulda sat in the gap where the inlet splits apart to go to the head wouldnt it? il go check them wires after work tomoz, sounds like icoulda dislodged summat there! thanks very much <_<

Sign in to follow this