• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest rustynail

Temperature Rising ?!

Guest rustynail

Hi all,

i've recently put on the road a F-reg 1.6 gti in standard form after purchasing for what now would be considered a round of drinks with recent price hikes.

Using it as a daily runner i've noticed that when run up to normal cruising speed and now while sitting in traffic the temp rises until the stop light comes on !!

but it does not boil up ?

before putting it on the road i had to change the rad, heater matrix and some hoses to mention but a few.

Also i've seen mentioned an oil cooler on the forum ?

cant see or find one on mine ?

Thanks Russ

Anthony

The coolant tmep gauge and light are on two different senders, so if both are saying the engine's overheating it almost certainly is.

There is no oil cooler on a 1.6 GTi - it was standard fit only on 1.9 GTi's.

Guest rustynail
The coolant tmep gauge and light are on two different senders, so if both are saying the engine's overheating it almost certainly is.

There is no oil cooler on a 1.6 GTi - it was standard fit only on 1.9 GTi's.

ooh sounds like there may be further problems to expect then ?!

Thanks Russ

pug_ham

Moved into technical section. :P

Graham.

Super Josh

Is your fan not kicking in before the stop light comes on?

Josh

MrG

is there a way to test the fan?

I'll do a search for that, must be covered I am sure.

welshpug

pull the connector off the Thermoswitch (screwed into the left hand side of the rad) and bridge 2 pins.

outside and middle and outside-outside if the pins are in a row like | | | , and iirc when they are arranged |. | it'll be middle with one of the outer two.

the fan should come on with each pairing, slow speed one way and full the other, if you only get full speed the resistor is dead/missing/bad connection.

also check the earth point, same as usual the one behind the n/s headlamp.

Edited by welshpug

MrG

thanks, something to do tonight!

Guest rustynail
Is your fan not kicking in before the stop light comes on?

Josh

The fan seems to run but not sure if both speeds work !

something for me to check by bridging the terminals of the fan switch.

also getting some mayo in the oil filler but wasnt sure if thats because of the perished breather pipes ?

Russ

pug_ham
pull the connector off the Thermoswitch (screwed into the left hand side of the rad) and bridge 2 pins.

outside and middle and outside-outside if the pins are in a row like | | | , and iirc when they are arranged |. | it'll be middle with one of the outer two.

You shouldn't need to pull the connector off the thermoswitch, usually there is a brown plug hanging loose which runs to the back of the thermoswitch. The same one that is often asked "Whats this plug for?" (five pin brown plug on left of picture below).

30012008074.jpg

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...st&p=799284

Bridge the centre pin on this to eiher end pin will give low or high speed fan but tbh low can be pretty quiet & mines never got hot enough for high speed yet.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this