• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest shiftyshuffle

Xs/gti Backbox Differences (pics)

Guest shiftyshuffle

The shorter box is from my 90' 1.6gti, it's made by TUBEREX and has 0 11 stamped underneath the make.

The longer one is from my old 89' XS, made by WALKER and has 52 12296c

F 00 4030

81314 stamped underneath the make.

The XS box is heavier and has a rounder, less oval cross-section; and a diaphram with an 'X' cut into it looking down the flange end with a torch. The GTi dosen't have this diaphram, the tube bends out of sight inside the box. The flange on the GTi box looks like a smaller bore than the rest of the system, i'm currently using an old janspeed backbox. By looking at the pics, can anyone tell me if this is the correct standard box for the 1.6 GTi? It's very silent when connected and def sounds less raspy than other standard-boxed 1.6's i've heard.

Thanks, Rob

post-11789-1208286463_thumb.jpg

Guest shiftyshuffle

flange end (XS on left)

post-11789-1208286534_thumb.jpg

Edited by shiftyshuffle

DaveW

They all vary really, not sure if the gti box will mate up to the xs centre section due to the larger bore..

AdamP

The box on my roland garros at the moment is a 'standard' one, but it's still pretty noisy (not blowing or anything). I was wondering if that was a standard gti one, as gti's had centre silencers didnt they? The XS has a fatter one and is pretty quiet.

Not really any help, but im in confusion too!

RossD

If its any help I'll stick up some pictures later of my GTi backbox that I got recently, made by ECIA which is the make you would get if you went to a Pug dealer and bought an exhaust. (Peugeot owned ECIA until recently)

Also this may be of some help in ID'ing the boxes, its in French but scroll down for the pictures.

http://www.planete-205.com/forum/viewtopic-17908.php

Edited by RossD

Sign in to follow this