• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gerlewislewis

Mk2 Golf Gti

gerlewislewis

My Golfs starter motor has had its chips so Ive ordered one from Ebay. Even though mines a 16v I have ordered an 8v one, as I suspect they are the same, and also it was all that was available.

Anyway, I have read that you have to support the engine as the bolts which hold on the starter motor, also hold the engine mounts in place!

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Is it as fiddly as it sounds? Im imagining all the holes to come out of alignment and be a nightmare to get the bolts back in.

Fingers crossed....

RonnieG

Yup - Done this one a few times & can be a nightmare of a job if the engine moves whilst you have the bolts out - Especially the one nearest the front grill trying to get the thread to start - Had to do this one recently when replacing the clutch & that one was a killer !! Access isn't easy either.....

Trick is very much to suport the engine/box & try and make the 3 bolts easy to remove with your fingers only - Replace the starter pronto before anyting has a chance to move.

The front engine mount is hydraulic & mine's on it's way out & I'm going to buy a new front bolt as well this time when I replace it.

Good luck.....

Sign in to follow this