• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jamese30

Cabin Fan Blower Intermittent Stopped Working...

Guest Jamese30

Hi,

I have a 1990 1.6 GTi and the interior fan blower has been working intermittently since I have started using the car (a few weeks). Last week it completely stopped working, no matter what you turn the rotary dial on fan speed to. The hot/cold rotary dial works as does the adjustment for changing air flow it is just the blower that is not working.

I was going to try and check the wiring so I have removed the front panel and dials but cannot seem to get the white unit, where the rotary knobs locate to, out. - can these white units break? Are they expensive to replace?

Does anyone have any other ideas? I have located access to the fan from the passenger footwell so will try 12Vacross this too.

Thanks in advance,

James

andrewhewitt

fun this i am having a similar issue at the moment, will be interesting to see peoples response.

TT205

There are LOADS of topics on this

It's usually not the fan but the resistor - see http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=84107

Basically if you get down in the passenger footwell and look up you will see the bit of black (on mine) carpet that covers the base of the fan - pull it out and you can see three screws holding the fan in - you will also see the wires coming down from the fan to the resistor (which is the usual culprit) - try swapping this for one that is known to work first and if that doesn't work, then undo the three screws to withdraw the fan. Andy - if your is stripped out already you should see the wiring easily (near center console) - just get right down into the passenger footwell in daylight! and have a good look

Dave

craig f90
There are LOADS of topics on this

It's usually not the fan but the resistor - see http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=84107

Basically if you get down in the passenger footwell and look up you will see the bit of black (on mine) carpet that covers the base of the fan - pull it out and you can see three screws holding the fan in - you will also see the wires coming down from the fan to the resistor (which is the usual culprit) - try swapping this for one that is known to work first and if that doesn't work, then undo the three screws to withdraw the fan. Andy - if your is stripped out already you should see the wiring easily (near center console) - just get right down into the passenger footwell in daylight! and have a good look

Dave

Yep always the resistor. £15ish from the dealer, If memory serves, But it doesnt always :wub:

Guest Jamese30

Thanks Dave/Craig,

I will try that and let you know the outcome. How can I tell if the resistor has failed? Is there any way I can bypass it or should I just buy a new one.

Can I just put 12V across the terminals of the fan to check that is working ok?

Are there ever any faults with the switchpack on the dash where the rotary knobs are?

Sorry for all the questions,

Thanks,

James

large

Yes you can put 12v across the fan motor. I fitted a switch like that on my old car and it worked a treat ( you only have high speed like that).

Guest Jamese30
Yes you can put 12v across the fan motor. I fitted a switch like that on my old car and it worked a treat ( you only have high speed like that).

I will try that to see if the fan is working. If it is it looks like it will be a new resistor.

Guest Jamese30

I connected a battery across the terminals of the fan motor last night - to the black and brown wires - and the fan is working. In terms of finding the resistor, is this further up the circuit from the yellow and orange wires that feed the fan, or is the resistor in the fan?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

James

Guest Jamese30

I connected a battery across the terminals of the fan motor last night - to the black and brown wires - and the fan is working. In terms of finding the resistor, is this further up the circuit from the yellow and orange wires that feed the fan, or is the resistor in the fan?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

James

Sign in to follow this