• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart

A Bit Of Wiring Help Needed

stuart

I've re-installed the wiring loom on my 1991 1.6 Gti rally car project that I removed about 2 years ago and not surprisingly I'm having trouble finding where a few wires go...

Below are pics of the wires in question:

First pic is of the 2 relays that were mounted on the bulkhead above the header tank.

DSC01656.jpg

I believe the green wire in the next pic below goes to one of the relays but what other wires should go to these?

I'm doing away with the fog lights if these have anything to do with them.

Also, what is the green relay for?

DSC01651.jpg

This wire / connector is also spare from around the loom goes through the bulkhead on the passenger side:

DSC01652.jpg

The wiresbelow seem like they should go around the back of the engine but I can only find 2 homes for them...

DSC01655.jpg

I assume this mess is where the brown multiplug I've read about should go but what are the yellow and red wires for as they aren't connected to anything. Also, is the long white wire with the ring tag for the oil temp sensor in the sump?

DSC01654.jpg

Finally this wire (one each side) I'm not sure if I need or not as I think it's from the alarm but have seen it in other peoples pics so not sure...

DSC01650.jpg

I've just remembered now also that there is a melted brown plug coming from the diff area but I seem to remember this wasn't connected to anything when I removed the loom. Do I need this?

Also, what wires connect to the two sensors next to the alternator / starter?

Apologies for this large post but I'm a bit stuck :blink:

Any help at all with these is greatly appreciated ;)

Cheers

Stu

Mikey G
I've re-installed the wiring loom on my 1991 1.6 Gti rally car project that I removed about 2 years ago and not surprisingly I'm having trouble finding where a few wires go...

Below are pics of the wires in question:

First pic is of the 2 relays that were mounted on the bulkhead above the header tank.

DSC01656.jpg

Not sure, add ons for something?

I believe the green wire in the next pic below goes to one of the relays but what other wires should go to these?

I'm doing away with the fog lights if these have anything to do with them.

Also, what is the green relay for?

Green relay is fog/driving lights i think, green wire is a spare for something and ive seen it disconnected elsewhere.

DSC01651.jpg

This wire / connector is also spare from around the loom goes through the bulkhead on the passenger side:

DSC01652.jpg

This is also disconnected on all 205's ive seen, dont worry about it.

The wiresbelow seem like they should go around the back of the engine but I can only find 2 homes for them...

DSC01655.jpg

They look like the wires for the front of the engine, long covered one for the alternator, 2 wires for the oil pressure switch and oil pressure gauge and the 3rd blueish shorter one is for the starter motor

I assume this mess is where the brown multiplug I've read about should go but what are the yellow and red wires for as they aren't connected to anything. Also, is the long white wire with the ring tag for the oil temp sensor in the sump?

DSC01654.jpg

Dont know, too much mess for me lol

Finally this wire (one each side) I'm not sure if I need or not as I think it's from the alarm but have seen it in other peoples pics so not sure...

DSC01650.jpg

Never seen that connector before, as you say could be alarm sensor for a bonnet switch?

I've just remembered now also that there is a melted brown plug coming from the diff area but I seem to remember this wasn't connected to anything when I removed the loom. Do I need this?

Could be for the oil temp sensor on the back of the sump

Also, what wires connect to the two sensors next to the alternator / starter?

See above, looks like you have your temperature sensor wires that go under the distributor and the 4 wires above mixed up.

Apologies for this large post but I'm a bit stuck :blink:

Any help at all with these is greatly appreciated ;)

Cheers

Stu

See my bold above.

Hope this helps.

Baz

Pic 2 spare, not used, i don't think anyway.

Pic 3 again, not sure but think it's a spare.

Pic 4 looks like the Oil pressure sender and Stop light wires, brown and orange or similar, one near is a spare i think, hence why you can only find 2 homes for them. Long covered one as said, alt. batt light.

Pic 5 does indeed look like the brown multiplug wires.

Last pic looks like a brake pad sensor connector.

Mikey G
Last pic looks like a brake pad sensor connector.

Ah, of course! yes it certainly looks like it. Just dont expect to see it in the engine bay :blink:

And those 4 wires would need to be checked but i'm very sure that the shorter blueish wire is for the starter solenoid. Get a multimeter and see if you get 12volts when you turn the ignition key all the way around to the starter position.

Edited by Mikey G

M_R_205

The 4th pic looks like it has 4 wires, one covered in a plastic shield, if thats the case im sure they go round the front of the engine to the alt and 2 sensors, the coverd one should be for the starter...

The ones that go to the alternator oil pressure etc look like this

The first pic, is that not the earth for the strut top??

2nd last pic, the wire with the round connector is oil temp, (plug on the bottom of the sump) the two that are cut could be for the reverse light switch... the 4 wires on the top of the pic look like the ones in pic4

stuart

Cheers for the replies lads, think i'm sorted now!

The green wire and the white connector in pics 2 and 3 do look like they're unused.

The 4 wires in the 4th pic ARE for the oil pressure / alternator.

The Yellow / Red wires in the 5th pic look like they're for the water temp / temp warning light after looking at this thread:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=87064&hl=

2nd last pic, the wire with the round connector is oil temp, (plug on the bottom of the sump) the two that are cut could be for the reverse light switch... the 4 wires on the top of the pic look like the ones in pic4

Definitely not the reverse lamp switch, this is plugged in already.

Long white wire is in the same pic is for the oil temp sensor in the sump, although I think this will need replacing as the thread has snapped off whilst the engine was on the garage floor...

The connector in the last pic is of course for the brake pad sensor, I should've realised that! lol.

The melted brown connector I mentioned isn't used either - pic in this thread:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...18&hl=crank

It's aparantly for a crank sensor used for diagnostics...

Sign in to follow this