• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McDude

Spare Wheel Removal

McDude

I'm thinking of removing my spare wheel - thinking back, I've owned plenty of cars where they had no spare as standard, just a can of foam, so I am fine with this.

Other than the obvious (no spare tyre!) - are there any downsides e.g. making the back end a bit light and flighty?

Also any tips for removing the cage/bunging up the holes?

James_R

As said, downside is on a cold dark wet night in the middle of no where with no phone reception you'll get a blow out of huge gash in the tyre foam won't fix.

Upside is you don't get the spare out on said night to find it's flat anyways, and you wasted valuble trudging time to the nearest reception :)

It's pretty obivous how to remove the cage, little retaining clip holds one side in remove and slip it out. Also no poin thaving the tyre iron or jack, but locking wheel nut is always a plan.

I've not bothered blocking the hole, but duct tape top and bottom usually works ok, or if you want to do it properly a gromit from maplins

I run my track car without a spare, as I accept when I'm driving it I'm not usually in a rush to get anywhere important (like work) and if it's a track day I have a set of tyres in the boot anyways.

If it's your only car I'd be weary of removing it, as turning up to that amazing job interview 2 hours lack with black hands and saying I had a flat never helps with getting that amazing job, and it usually only happens when it's something important you've got you've got to get to.

Anthony

Tire foam has it's limitations and hence I'd personally rather have a proper spare.

However, if you're happy without, then there's no real downside other than the risk of being stranded following a blowout or whatever - certainly doesn't adversely affect handling or anything. Removing the cage is easy enough - remove the clip (if it's still there) and the cage sort of slides out of one hanger and twists out of the other - it'll make sense when you're doing it.

Remove the bolt and hanger, and somewhere like B&Q will do some suitable grommits to plug the hole afterwards (although most just leave it open)

McDude

Thanks dudes - it was the light back end I was worried about.

I've got no probs with foam and I've had to use it in anger a couple of times. My Racing Puma, both Elises and my Focus ST all had foam as standard an I had to use it on the Puma and one of the Elises. It works really well, but I accept that it is no use on a mullered tyre.

The 205 is my toy so it really doesn't need a spare, but even if it wasn't I'd still be cool without one.

SIDCPHIL

Blimey I forgot about the spare !!!

More weight saving to come now

Masekwm

Just a quick point, if you remove the spare and the tyre foam doesn't work, I think you need to pay for recovery by AA/RAC/etc

James_R

I've been ok for it, as above there's cars out there from the manf with no real spare, so they have to be catered for, and what if you're spare's no good too, they have to get you then.

Masekwm

1. AA Membership breakdown cover does not provide for:

d. any additional charges resulting from Your failure to carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or tyre, except where this is not provided as manufacturers standard equipment. The AA will endeavour to arrange on Your behalf, but will not pay for, assistance from a third party;

CaptainK

I often though about removing the spare wheel from my 205 as it mostly does local trips and will be doing trackdays. In which case the spare tyre would be chucked in the boot/back for the trip to the track.

BUT, then it occurred to me I have nowhere to store the spare tyre, so decided to leave it in the car. :(

Arahan

I thought about removing it purely because unless that clamp has been fairly recently opened and lube'd up its a pain in the arse to remove! And mine sits quite close to my exhaust which I'm not overly keen on, and under there they always get manky! Plus all the ones ive seen have deep rubbing marks from where the cage itself has rubbed on it!

At first I was going to buy a bag/carrier for the wheel and put it in it to leave it under the boot in the cage, but think I'm going to opt for a spare wheel post and mount it in the boot! :blink:

McDude
At first I was going to buy a bag/carrier for the wheel and put it in it to leave it under the boot in the cage

When I bought mine the bodger that sold it to me said 'the spare is in a special bag to protect it' on closer inspection the bag is one of the cheap plastic suit carriers you get when you buy a suit. :lol:

Does the job though.

Sign in to follow this