• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Braided Fuel Lines

skinner2k3

I would like to run braided fuel lines inside the 205, this is something I wanted to do anyway but it went up my priority list when I almost drilled through a fuel line fitting a clutch foot rest ;) I havent gone through the pipe but I can feel a small groove in it where the edge of the bit must has gone down the side!

Could someone who has done this before give me any hints, type of hose, length required, fittings etc.....oh and a ball park figure of what I should expect it to cost.

Cheers

Ben

andychalmers

If your fitting internal fuel lines you just need to source some braided rubber hose from a motorsport company like rally design or demon tweeks. Braided hose is rubber hose with a Stainless Braid over it. All you'll need is the line & a few jubilee clips (maybe some fancy ends if you wanted but I just use electrical tape. I dont have measurements or tube size but if you standard size rubber fuel hose. On standard 205's its a rubber hose to copper back to rubber. You need to measure from the fuel pump, down the exhaust tunnel or door cill & up to the fuel filter, then fuel filter to injection. Another cheaper way is to use copper fuel pipe with rubber joints on each end. I've used both on rally cars and both do the job at the fraction of the price.

swordfish210

Merlin will sell you Goodridge braided fuel hose but it's damm expensive, £3.30 + VAT per 10cm!!! I ended up using 8mm ruber hose when i built my fuel line because i paid £10 for 6 meters of the stuff, and i'v got some left over :)

AdamP

I've just done mine... bought 4 metres of 1/4" braided fuel hose, 6 stainless P-clips, 2 end caps and 2 stainless jubilee clamps for £24 at a show. Having looked around it was usually £8-10 a metre but I paid £5.

SPGTi

If the car is used regularly and you will be sitting in the cabin for decent periods of time DON'T use rubber hose, overbraided or not as the fumes tend permeate through the hose giving that lovely smell of petrol.

For the road rally car, which we are sat in for hours at a time and travel sickness for the nav can be a big issue, I used "Hardline". This is an aluminium type pipe with a plastic covering that is easily manipulated and can be flared so proper fittings can be used if required. It is also very cheap (£7 for 4 metres rings a bell).

Suppliers are Tifosi, James Lister Motorsport and Speedflow. Speedflow seem to have the largest range and offer good advise over the phone.

Steve

daza4

You have a pm mate.

But also I used copper pipe for the same reason of smells into the car also rubber pipe is not good in case of fire in the cabin.

Very straight forward to mount this inside the car.

When I finish mine I will post some pictures. Or if you actually have a spare weekend drive over (all of 15 miles!!) to my house and we could get it done !!!!

Daza

skinner2k3

Cheers for all the advice guys.

I dont think I have the budget to cover stainless braid. I dont like the sound of fuel smell in the cabin as I know that gives me a headache so rubber is out.

Sounds like hardline of some sort is the way to go unless I can pick up a bargain like Adam.

Where hard lines go through the bulkhead are any special fixing required. I guess you cant just go through a grommet like a flexible line would.

Daza, sounds like a plan. What weekend were you thinking of doing that?

paul205mi16

Pics would be great of a hardline in cabin installation.

Sign in to follow this