• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
malyso

Faulty Indicator Problem

malyso

The near side front and side indicator has stopped working but the rear is fine. There is no power getting to the front ones at all (checked with multimeter) now i've probably disloged a wire or something whilst tidying the wiring loom up under the dash as they have been working fine.

I can't find where its now not getting a supply from. When activated by the stalk the rear one flashes really fast but when the hazard switch is depressed it is at normal speed if this helps at all. Could it be a faulty relay or where to look next?

Anthony

Are you sure it's not just a corroded connector or bad earth on that front corner? That's the usual cause of the front indicator not working but the back one working OK in my experience, and will typically show as no power on a multimeter if you're measuring across the two pins on the connector.

Stu

As above, i had the exact same problem but in the drivers side. I unbolted the stupid earth point multipoint connection thingy by the headlight, threw it in the bin, cut the earth plug off and soldered all the wires together into a ring terminal and bolted it directly to the chassis where the connector originally was.

Also, for some reason, i had a pair of plugs that fed the indicators, no idea why, so they got binned and soldered up too!

Its been fine ever since, foglights work all the time now too! ;)

malyso

I did have a fiddle about with that earth block but nothing changed. I will disconnect it tonight and re earth it and see if that cures it. Whats baffleing me is it was fine on Saturday when i put all the lights back in and tested them then suddenly it isn't ...Although it may have got caught/moved when i put the air filter/maf box thingy back in which pushes down in there...

Thanks

pug_ham

As above mentioned by Anthony & Stu, dodgy earth will usually knock the front & side repeater out but the back one works fine.

Test with a seperate piece of wire from the back of the indicator comnnector directly to the battery earth point, if it works thats your fault so time to spruce up the earth points.

Best way is to remove them & cut the terminals off the wires, replace them with suitabley sized ring terminals & then use the original earth plate mounting bolt to bolt them straight to the earth points on the front panel.

Graham.

malyso
As above mentioned by Anthony & Stu, dodgy earth will usually knock the front & side repeater out but the back one works fine.

Test with a seperate piece of wire from the back of the indicator comnnector directly to the battery earth point, if it works thats your fault so time to spruce up the earth points.

Best way is to remove them & cut the terminals off the wires, replace them with suitabley sized ring terminals & then use the original earth plate mounting bolt to bolt them straight to the earth points on the front panel.

Graham.

Thanks Graham

Will have a bash later and let you know...

Sign in to follow this