• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Vacuum Sunroof

M@tt

finally got round to fitting the replacement T piece connector from the brake servo so that it connects backup with the sunroof vacuum.

however the sunroof seal still doesn't appear to be working. it hasn't doesn't leak water or anything at present but as i understand it when i open the handle the vacuum should suck all the air out of the seal and it collapse and when the handle is closed the seal ballon up to create an air tight seal. well thats just not happeining. the seal just isn't doing anything reglardless of whether i have the handle up or down. I've seen others where the seal ballons up and collapses

is there some special trick to charging to seal once all the parts have been apart?

i can't hear any leaks or anything so dont think the seal is shagged

or any tips to test the seal/vacuum?

davemar

Have you run the engine to build up the vacuum?

M@tt

yeah ran the engine for a couple of mins but didn't seem to be doing much.

I wonder if i blew into the pipe that goes to the seal whether thhe seal would inflate?

tom_m

it takes quite a while for the vacuum reservoir to charge. just ignore it for a while and when you try it again it'll work.

pug_ham
I wonder if i blew into the pipe that goes to the seal whether thhe seal would inflate?

Don't you need to suck to create a vacuum in the box.

it takes quite a while for the vacuum reservoir to charge. just ignore it for a while and when you try it again it'll work.

Mine has never recharged itself since accidentally disconnected one of the small pipes from the T piece in the engine bay a few years ago. Doesn't squeek, leak or rattle though so I'm not bothered.

Graham.

M@tt
Don't you need to suck to create a vacuum in the box.

i thought i might need to inlfate it first to give it some air for the vacuum to suck out. The othe rvacuum roof i saw definately ballooned up like it had air in it rather than being standard and then just collapsing if that makes sense.

tom_m
Mine has never recharged itself since accidentally disconnected one of the small pipes from the T piece in the engine bay a few years ago. Doesn't squeek, leak or rattle though so I'm not bothered.

Graham.

the wiper arm had chewed through mine! i replaced it and tried it straight away and it didn't work. thought sod it and left it, next time i tried it must have been nearly a year later and it worked ;) and kept working until the day i wrote the car off :( :(

i thought i might need to inlfate it first to give it some air for the vacuum to suck out. The othe rvacuum roof i saw definately ballooned up like it had air in it rather than being standard and then just collapsing if that makes sense.

no the way i understand it the seal's natural state is inflated, the vacuum deflates it to open the sunroof and then allows it to re inflate itself once you close the handle

Tom Fenton
no the way i understand it the seal's natural state is inflated, the vacuum deflates it to open the sunroof and then allows it to re inflate itself once you close the handle

Yep I agree with this.

I knocked the small pipe off to mine when I was doing the new brake lines to the master cylinder and it stopped working. Reconnected it and it didn't work straight away, tried a day or two later and it was working.

Sign in to follow this