• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mojo1997

Is A Baffled Sump Essential For A Standard 1.9 On Trackdays

mojo1997

Did my first trackday at Cadwell Park a couple of weeks ago and ended up knackering the big end bearings.

I'm putting this down to the fact that at Cadwell there are a few long right hand corners, pushing the oil in the sump to the opposite side away from the oil sump pick up. I was taking these corners at high rev's in third, probably pushing a bit too hard for a standard car :D . I can't say I noticed the oil pressure dropping through the corners but suspect oil surge through these high speed corners to have cause the damaged to the engine.

Obviously the bottom end is going to be repaired, but I was wondering if I want to do more trackdays do I need a baffled sump or other means to protect the oil system

. I only ask as on the same trackday there where other standard cars on track (although they were newer models) all day without any problems....

Miles

Very hard to say without knowing how fast you can drive, To give you a example I had a customer who drove his Mi16 for about 10>15 miles with a broken oil pump chain (nice garage said there was no oil getting to the head!!, shame they didn;t say the complete engine) and I changed the pump and chain after checking the bearing's which where OK beleve it or not and 6 months later it is still going and it's get's the living daylights thrashed out of it (Young lad), If that was me a Rod would have gone out thru the block :D

But I would get the PTS style one fitted as it will help without a doubt, Steer clear of the trap door baffles as they do very little.

petert
But I would get the PTS style one fitted as it will help without a doubt, Steer clear of the trap door baffles as they do very little.

Of course that's Miles' opinion. I subscribe to the trap door with an extended pickup theory. Do a search in the XU sections. Probably the most discussed topic ever!

mojo1997
Probably the most discussed topic ever!

thought as much.........

I did a couple of hours searching the forum last night and came to about 10 different conclusions. I knew before I started searching that there would be varying opinions, suppose I was just hoping for one solution to be best.....

from what I've read I'm leaning towards extending the pick up and some method of baffleing the sump.

Miles

If you do go for the trap door which I find surges all the time make sure you fit the tin sump as droping the sump further down increases the risk of grounding it out and spliting it in terms of the alloy one

pug_ham

If its a standard 1.9 8v engine there could be more wrong with it to have caused the big ends to die imo.

I've run mine for three years now (1.9 8v) & done several trackdays at Cadwell with no oil baffles at all & no problems whatsoever.

Only difference in my car is the group N oil pump spring.

AFAIK Anthony hasn't got any kind of baffle fitted on his 1.9 8v & was running cut slicks last year at Cadwell without any problems.

Graham.

Atari Boy

Slight off topic, but where is best place to get a group N spring and is it straight forward to fit?

Sign in to follow this