• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sutol

Mojet-ronic

sutol

Can't make up my mind whether my 1.9 is Motronic or Jetronic.

The manual is of little help, it does say that Motronic has a twin plenium induction manifold.

The car is an 'H' reg 1.9 without a cat (or it hasn't got one now)

Is there an easy way to tell the two systems apart for an amateur who is used to carbs and no electickery. :)

cybernck

the quickest way is looking at the ECU :).

another one is looking at the dizzy, which will be black Ducellier on Motronic.

AFM will be different and have a 02802202 (on top of my head) code on it.

also, it will have a crank sensor on the gearbox.

hope this helps :).

sutol

So am I right in thinking that Jetronic will have a brown dizzy cap and no crank sensor ?

P.S. I'll have a look at the ECU tomorrow :)

cybernck

yep :).

sutol

Are the Motronic and Jetronic ECUs vastly different ?

I have a BX Motronic ecu and it has 10 pins more than My 1.9 ecu so it's no use ...I was going to run the Mi with it :rolleyes:

The one on the left is 1.9 and right is BX both Bosch.

post-9302-1206050304.jpg

Have I bought the wrong ecu ? or do I have to wire the pins up instead of a plug.

Completely new to ecus and begining to think carbs and dizzy might be a plan :blush:

Any help appreciated as project halted. :rolleyes:

welshpug

you need the loom that goes with the BX ecu (one from a 405 Mi16 will do the job as long as its for the same ecu type)

sutol
you need the loom that goes with the BX ecu (one from a 405 Mi16 will do the job as long as its for the same ecu type)

Thanks for that ( I was told that this was easy ) , looks like a day looking round scrapyards is called for. I'll get on with fitting driveshafts and piping the waterworks up first then . :rolleyes:

welshpug

pop a wanted ad up on here first, someone might have a loom pre-converted to plug into a 205 you never know.

2-Pugs

cybernck has it pretty much covered.

If your car has grey carpet, with the exception of the 1990 limited edition models, it has (or had) a cat fitted.

Motronic was, I think, fitted to better control the catalysed engine, so it's really only found on catalysed cars.

Otherwise, (I am working from memory so I may not be accurate)

Motronic ECU has three rows of pins instead of Jetronic's 2

Motronic Air flow meter has no hex-head mixture adjustment screw

Motronic Distributor has no vacuum advance device on it

A motronic car runs nicely from cold, jetronic can have the familiar hunting problem at idle

Given it's age, I'd expect it to be Jetronic, as the cat was an expensive option at the time, and they did not become mandatory until 1993 I think.

sutol
Given it's age, I'd expect it to be Jetronic, as the cat was an expensive option at the time, and they did not become mandatory until 1993 I think.

I think your right, trouble is I've bought a Motronic BX ecu.......post-9302-1206055684.gif

2-Pugs

D'Oh!!!!!!!

petert
I think your right, trouble is I've bought a Motronic BX ecu.......post-9302-1206055684.gif

So what's wrong with that? Is it from a 16V? If so, just buy a matching Mi16 loom.

Sign in to follow this