• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Hardgraf

Ignition Timing Guide

Hardgraf

Following an intermittent ignition problem I was advised to change the distributor on my 88 205 Gti 1.6.

I've changed the distributor with a second hand unit. The car won't start & I assume the ignition timing is out. I've tried to turn the car over whilst a friend turns the distributor housing however this has proved unsuccessfull.

I have the Haynes manual which explains how to statically set the timing. Haynes states that you have to remove the 1st plug (nearest the clutch) and turn the engine until you feel pressure over the spark plug hole with a peice of wood. How do you turn the engine? By trying to start it?

After you have found the pressure, I assume you have to remove that white plug down under the AFM on the gearbox? to access the timing ajustment & move the lines together (TDC)?

I've been told setting the timing is an easy 5 minute job but find the haynes manual too vague.

Any help would be appreciated for a newbie blundering his way through beginners mechanics!

welshpug

did you remember to plug the distributor to ignition amp fly lead back in?

Hardgraf

Yeah, the black lead with the retaining clip. I also reconnecting the vaacum advance hose. Should it start when you replace the distributor pretty easily?

welshpug

should do, it'll just be a bit rough and hunt a bit till you get it perfect.

are you 100% that the plugs are on the cap correctly?

Stu

As a rough guide mate, pull number 1 plug out, and by turning the bottom pulley bolt wind the engine over till the piston is at the top of its stroke. Whip the dizzy cap off and look at where the rotor arm is pointing, if it at number 1 plug lead then line the body up so that the rotor arm is in line with the brass connector inside the cap. This will be mean its nearly on 0 degrees btdc, so should get it running at least.

Pugnut

if i've read correct you've assumed its the ht side of the ignition.have you checked for a spark? if you're getting a spark then ignore this :

have you reconnected the small lead which comes out the body of the distributor. this small lead sends the signal to fire up the ignition amplifier. it needs to in good condition electrically (and plugged in!). if you take the lead off you will see two little spade connectors which need to present and correct also.

best to check the lead for continuity.

Hardgraf

Yeah, getting a spark. Noticed tonight that the rotor arm is knackered so I may not have put it in the new distributor properly. Getting a new rotor arm tomorrow & Hopefully it'll start!

davemar

Might be worth giving the spark plugs a wipe down too, as they might be covered in petrol if the engine hasn't been firing.

Hardgraf

Checked the plugs & they were fine. Changed the rotor arm & cap & It started first time.

Ran lumpy for about 15 mins I (I assume the timing is out) then it died again and wouldn't restart!

This is driving me insane!

Sign in to follow this