• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Francesco

Painting Engine And Engine Parts

Francesco

I wanna paint my engine and all the engine parts. Engine is out of my 205, stripped and ready to prep it for paint.

But I never done this before, so I'd like some advise. Best ways to prep the engine, cleaning and painting it. And what paint can I use best?

The engine is a 1.9 Gutmann 8V (140bhp).

Edited by Francesco

sutol

I stand the engine in a tray and after removing the worst of the gunge with a scraper, I work white spirit into the muck with a worn paint brush (stiff).

The engine can then be jet washed off and will dry clean and grease free.

Choice of paint is up to you but a thin coating of undercoat with a rattle can, then a good finish with a rattle can in your choice of colour.

High temp paint for exhaust, job done. :blush:

Francesco

Some extra information, when I sad stripped, I mean the engine is taken from the car and all the exterial bits are off. Can I jet wash the engine with all the engine parts still in the engine? Just let it dry very good?

Dan Ingram

You can just plug up all the inlet and outlet holes and anything else that could let water in to the engine. Then jet wash as much of the crap of as you can. When I did mine I had it on an engine stand and used thinners to get rid of any grease that the jet wash didn't get off then a couple of different sized wire brushes on a drill to remove any flaky stuff and anything else thats left. You just need to make sure there isn't any grease or loose stuff left before you start painting on make sure its bone dry otherwise the paint will come straight back off again. It takes a lot of hours to get it to come up right but its all in the preparation.

As for paint I used high temp stuff on the block which is meant to leave a gloss finish after a couple of coats but it doesn't so I put a coat of hammerite spray over the top of that. I used hammerite on the sump but didn't paint the head as it came up pretty well. I did the rocker cover in primer first then a layer of silver, I masked over the 16v bit then painted it all cherry red. You could do it in hammerite but I don't think it leaves a good enough finish on a smooth surface and the red doesn't match.

Heres one I prepared earlier lol

DSC01209.jpg

DSC01237.jpg

Thats about 3 days worth of cleaning, prepping and painting. All worth it in the end though I think and as its all a gloss finish it should be easy to keep clean and spot any oil leaks.

Hope that helps :blush:

Francesco

Thanks. Time to get started. Nice result Dan. Looking very nice.

Francesco

Thanks for all the help. The result:

51.jpg

52.jpg

Sign in to follow this