• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KRISKARRERA

Battery Dead?

KRISKARRERA

Turn the key.... tickety tick over and over.

Turned lights on. Turned the key - lights die altogether.

Miles

Thats not the battery, sounds quite serious to me, Can you do a drop test on the Flux capacitor?

GLPoomobile

I haven't watched the video (though I'm sure Dickie Attenborough would be proud), but if it's the noise I suspect then it will be a dead battery.

I've had it a few times on a totally zonked battery. Not even enough juice to engage the starter solenoid, just a rapid clicking noise from somewhere.

steve@cornwall

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file may be formatted with an unsupported codec, or the Internet security setting on your computer is set too high. Lower your browser's security setting, and then try again.

:D:):unsure:

Miles

Your not missing much apart from Darkness :D and some red lights (Whats all that about Kris!!), Can you bump it? thats pushing it to start :) if that works the Flux Cap might just need a charge

KRISKARRERA

Searching on google seems to suggest battery. Might be wrong though. It's had a hard life. Short journies. An Alternator that won't "excite" (Unless I remember to rev over 3000rpm). And it's not that big for a car with electric everything.

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file may be formatted with an unsupported codec, or the Internet security setting on your computer is set too high. Lower your browser's security setting, and then try again.
Sorry about that. I've got every codec known on my pc because of my interest in video editing. It was a 3gp file from my phone that was converted to avi and then converted to mpeg2. But as Miles said you can see much, just the sound and red lights.
some red lights (Whats all that about Kris!!),
That's the lights on the dashboard!
Can you bump it? thats pushing it to start
I'm not that silly!

if that works the Flux Cap might just need a chargeYeah I might take it off the car now actually lol.

KRISKARRERA

I just put the fully recharged battery back in - started instantly.

Bonzai
An Alternator that won't "excite" (Unless I remember to rev over 3000rpm).

mine started doing this last week. what does it mean? is the alternator fudged?

KRISKARRERA

I hope not lol. It can mean that I think, though in my case it's that blasted smaller alt wire that needs a need connector.

Bonzai

i thought the small alt wire just switches on one of the dash lights (STOP! -?) when its not charging/not running

KRISKARRERA

So did I but Anthony and others told me it does actually activate charging. If I wiggle that wire and then start the engine the lights are nice and bright. But after a while it loosens again and the lights are dim until you rev past 3k rpm. Easy to fix if it wasn't for the farkin aircon pipes.

Bonzai

strange, im sure mine was off for a while there and had no problem. will double check it before i go to work tonight regardless!

KRISKARRERA

It's dead again. (Haven't driven car in a few days)

KRISKARRERA

Tightened the connector slightly for the small alternator wire but it's still not charging until 3k rpm. I noticed the male spade end felt a bit loose on the alt so I'm thinking maybe the loose connection is there. :)

Peetypug

iirc the alternator needs a 12v supply to kick in charging

the wire needs to be attached to the alternator, if it is connected then check your dash light if that aint on then you need to replace the dash bulb as this will stop it getting 12v as well

other than that your battery is poop

Retro Pug

It sound as though you may have similar problem to me....

If I leave the car for more than 12hours at a time the battery dies.

I've come the the conclusion after changing the alternator and checking all connections that the battery is dead.

Maybe a daft question but is there a brand of battery to look for?

KRISKARRERA

Strangely Halfords batteries came out well in a test!

I've put my mum's battery on my car and the problem remains so it looks like it's the alternator.

Peetypug

have a look in the yellow pages for somewhere that rebushes alternators

the last one i did cost me 30 quid and they took mine as part ex

but if you dont want to do that, i'm sure its easy enough to do yourself (i've never tried it though)

Sign in to follow this